Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fuel guage only moving between quarter mark before full and quarter mark before empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gobu

I have a Toyota harrier model MCU10 with the engine 1MZ-FE but my guage is only moving up to the quarter mark before full and quarter mark before empty. Why is that.

Have you made any changes to the fuel tank or gas gauge?

Damaged sender (rheostat)?

Senders are a float on an pivoting arm that moves a contact (bronze?) across a resistance to make a rheostat. The constant movement of the car causes the fuel to slosh, wearing out the contact or the resistance element.

oimg_GC00368200_CA00456002.jpg

Instruments_Probes-And-Senders_Fuel_ROCHESTER-8341-R7090-SENDER.jpg

Looks like it is a common problem. Easy replacement, but sometimes requires removal of the fuel tank from the car.

I had an old truck that required a fuel sender replacement. It was quicker to take a hole saw and make an access hole in the floor than it was to remove and re-install the entire fuel tank... If you remove the tank, replace all of the rubber hoses at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back