Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FSB... Bah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I was just getting rid of some old files on my computer, and i ran across an old archive made by CPU-Z... I decided to open it and see the evolution of my computer... (which was a mistake...)

As i got to reading the archive, i notice that the FSB was running at only 201MHz!!!!!!! Now, the thing that really ticks me off is my processor was manufactured to run at a 800MHz FSB!!!!!

:eek: :rolleyes:

I was wondering why my processor was only chucking out about 1.61GHz, when in fact it should be closer to 2GHz (Sempron 2800+ Palmero core...)

I will fix this little "problem" tomorrow...

[EDIT] Fixed a typo that was pointed out (it was late, and i was tired)

Last edited:
Umm.. Marks.. The front side bus max on a Sempron 2800 is 333mhz. I don't know of any chip aside from some Power PC setups that have a front side bus that actually run at the CPU speed.

No... Actually the max FSB on a Sempron 2800 (palmero core) is 800MHz... Speechless now, Sceadwain?

Well, actually it is HT, but still...

Hey, you got it wrong first <chuckle>
I just quoted the first value I found on a Sempron benchmarking search on google, Sorry =)
I stopped caring about that stuff about 2 years ago, when I used to have to de-overclock my system in the summer time because my computer cabinet is enclosed and the extra heat the overclocking generated would cause the machine to crash if it ever woke up with the cabinet closed (I have a TV tuner card so whenever it woke up to record something it would crash). I came home and it'd crashed at full utilization and gotten stuck in some kind of loop, I almost couldn't touch the outside of the PC case it was so hot, I have no idea why it still runs, it was probably 10 or 20% over it's maximum temperature for at least an hour. It's really not worth it =) If you need fast, buy fast.

Hey, you got it wrong first <chuckle>
That is because i was tired...

I stopped caring about that stuff about 2 years ago, when I used to have to de-overclock my system in the summer time because my computer cabinet is enclosed and the extra heat the overclocking generated would cause the machine to crash if it ever woke up with the cabinet closed (I have a TV tuner card so whenever it woke up to record something it would crash). I came home and it'd crashed at full utilization and gotten stuck in some kind of loop, I almost couldn't touch the outside of the PC case it was so hot, I have no idea why it still runs, it was probably 10 or 20% over it's maximum temperature for at least an hour. It's really not worth it =) If you need fast, buy fast.

I just checked BIOS, and my CPU is running at only 34 Celsius... now, correct me if i am wrong, but don't most CPUs get in the upper 40's to lower 50's?

Either way it doesn't bother me. I am not going to mess with it, until i get a new heatsink... hopefully a Zalman...

If you're in BIOS you're not actually doing anything on the PC, 34 is a perfectly normal temperature. I found a nice program called speedfan which allows constant temperature monitoring and actually allows you to control the speed of some internal fans on the fly if your motherboard doesn't already have the function built in.

If you're in BIOS you're not actually doing anything on the PC

Obveously! Restarting the system after gaming the hell out of it does work, you know? It is close to what it was while gaming also...

No actually it doesn't. The CPU will cool to within 10% of it's non-used norm within 10 to 20 seconds of 100% utilization, and that's the outside on a system with really crappy fans and heatsinks. A good one should cool to within 10% of system inactivity after full use within 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Oh well. It is still running pretty cool... Also, i would like to see some sources on them numbers... If you insist on always prooving me wrong, i want you to prove that you are right...

With a Good Cooler Good temps are considered any where from 20C to 35C IDLE. Load is only a couple Degrees higher if you have a good cooler. Ive gotten mine to run at 35C all the time (both load and idle). When the AC comes on, That goes down to 33C, while my Mobo goes down to a Chilling 18 to 19C.

40C to 45C is OK, Not the Best, but its OK. Anything higher and you need either more Fans, Or a better cooler. As for ambient, 30C is High, while 25C is the norm (average I guess you could say..)

Aaaw, geee Marks256, I really feel bad for you and your dilemna. And to think I was feeling a bit behind as I type this reply on a PIII 600Mhz, 256M SRDAM, 133Mhz FSB!!:eek: Wanna guess the OS running on it? It's from the last century.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Isn't a Sempron the bottom of the range processor anyway?.

The sempron is a 'mobile' processor, that is also seen in desktops from time to time. It is lower power than the athlon, and because of that, lacks a few specs the full athlon has.

the duron is amd's bottom range processor, like intel's piece of crap celeron

justDIY said:
The sempron is a 'mobile' processor, that is also seen in desktops from time to time. It is lower power than the athlon, and because of that, lacks a few specs the full athlon has.

All the Semprons I've seen have been budget desktop ones, I didn't know they made a mobile version?.

the duron is amd's bottom range processor, like intel's piece of crap celeron

Never had any problem with Celeron's?, now those you do see in LOT'S of laptops - my daughters Toshiba has a Celeron M 380 processor.

I love super pi... Who needs benchmarking programs when you have SuperPI? I cant wait for someone to make a 64bit version of that software... :)

The problem with intel, is they don't know how to make up new names. :rolleyes:

The celerons have been around since when? '98, '99? Somewhere around there?
The pentiums have been around since the early '90s...

THAT is why the celerons are in a lot of laptops and desktops.

worthless intel...

"Intel: We put the 'um...' in Pentium!"

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong Marks, I'm only explaining what I've observed from my experiences, and those numbers are off the top of my head from the last time I was playing around with speedfan and a CPU burn in utility. I stopped using it because it uses the PC's I2C bus and that was conflicting with some timers another program I use regularly requires and they didn't get along too well. Every time I had to start up the other program the timer speedfan used would get hijacked so I had to restart it, too annoying and I only wanted it to find out how hot the PC was getting with the cabinet closed anyways. I don't like a lot of stuff sitting in my tray anyways.

I hate try icons... Especially when they pop up their stupid little bubbles... "Can no connect to preferred wireless", "You have 300 new messages from logitech", or

"Hi! I am a program that was installed by the f-king manufacture! My purpose is to slow your computer down to an unbearably slow speed, and make your hard drive light stay on for an hour or two... Good luck with your brand new piece of crap!!!!!!!!

Oh wait, almost forgot to let you know that the manufacture ALSO installed a FREE* Norton Anti-virus. Now, since we are such nice people, we made it impossible for you to uninstall it. After the evaluation period, we will make more of these stupid bubbles pop up - just for your entertainment! AND as a bonus, we will include ForeverSHUTDOWN(R) version 98.48.1 (a $79.95) absolutely free!

Never heard of ForeverSHUTDOWN? Well, if not you aren't alive my friend! ForeverSHUTDOWN (also known as "hell") will force your computer to take half-an-hour to shut down. Still not impressed? We also will through in a free version of Real Player! YES!! REAL PLAYER!!!!!

Can you believe that? Yeah, i know, neither could I! Anyways, enjoy your waist of money.

For more information, please click here, or click anywhere else on the screen.

[page 1 of 350]

- Dumbass Computing Team."

Ok, that took off some steam... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back