Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fry oil to biodiesel...Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd chose non-death =)
A rose by any other name...

I'm no expert but I somehow think that diesel emissions are more dangerous than fat emissions.

You wanna be the first test subject Hero? =)

I used to obtain used transformer oil for quite a low price in the '90s. This I used "as is" as a substitute for diesel in my Isuzu pick-up for 4 years with no ill effect on the engine, diesel pump or injectors.

I thought that transformer oil wasn't flammable.

Well, it worked for me! I think that just about any oil will do what diesel does if injected into compressed air (containing oxygen) - combustion will take place and that's what you want.

A diesel burns its fuel. A shop that makes french fries doesn't burn the oil. I think burning fry oil will make black smoke and stink as bad or worse as a diesel that burns petrolium diesel fuel.

I thought that transformer oil wasn't flammable.
You may be thinking of PCBs which were used in transformers prior to the 1970's. Hopefully Jtech didn't accidentally burn any of that in his Isuzu pick-up. :eek:

Ive seen many shows, truck mod shows and the like, but they all say it gives clear emissions and it smells like french fries audioguru

Hero, diesal fuel doesn't need to be flameable at atmospheric pressure, the high compression ratio of the diesal engine is what makes it work with such a wide variety of fuels. Put it under a decent amount of heat and intense pressure and just about anything will combust.

kchriste said:
You may be thinking of PCBs which were used in transformers prior to the 1970's. Hopefully Jtech didn't accidentally burn any of that in his Isuzu pick-up. :eek:
Hopefully not, because it can cause skin cancer after continuous exposure to the oil containing pcb's. I did get info on what to do with transformer oil containing pcb's and the pro's said the only effective way to get rid of it, was to incinerate it! A diesel engine can do that quite well!:)

No actually it can't. PCB's aren't destroyed unless they're heated to 1200+ Celcius in a oxygen rich fuel mixture for more than 2 seconds (at least acording to Wikipedia) Diesal engine combustion definitly doesn't qualify as incineration.

I think more crap comes out of a diesel's stinking smoking exhaust than goes in.

audioguru said:
I think more crap comes out of a diesel's stinking smoking exhaust than goes in.
YES, perhaps true, but it smells so-o-o-o ECONOMICAL and unlike petrol fumes, won't kill you with carbon monoxide.:)

Read all about Diesel Air Pollution in Google. Its crap has plenty of carbon monoxide.

There is currenlty no such thing as a "perfect" alternative fuel. Until that day comes, i guess we will each die of different kinds of cancer?

french fry cancer...
cheeseburger deluxe cancer...
last nights leftovers cancer...

anything could become the next alternative fuel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back