Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Free software for prototype board circuit design / component placement from schematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDeeEye

Newbie Alert!

I have a fairly simple schematic for Bob Beck's plant growth stimulator.

I bought some 6 x 7cms prototyping board (with simple row and column copper padded holes matrix) and now have all the electronic components that I need to complete construction.

I have looked at several free circuit design software programs but have been unable to determine if any have the functionality of starting with prototyping board instead of designing a full-blown etchable PCB.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a free software circuit designer that allows one to enter the component details and schematic and have the software print a design placing the components on the board and identifying the connecting tracks required to use prototype board?

Disclaimer: I realise that doing the component and track placements manually is hardly a monumental task for such a small project but alas I'm: a) monumentally stupid b) exceedingly lazy c) a sucker for automation

TIA

Nothing can match the intuition of a human being (even a newbie such as yourself).

It's worth learning to do it on your own. There are no tools that will be able to give you everything you want or need, at least not to acceptable standards.

What your are requesting sounds like optimized automatic placement plus autorouting. I've seen these combined only in high-end ($$$) design tools.

I've watched the Beck and Zapper communities for a while now. There are no controlled studies regarding Beck's plant growth stimulator. Also, it is basically the same circuit as the blood electrifier, although the requirements are very different.

ak

What your are requesting sounds like optimized automatic placement plus autorouting. I've seen these combined only in high-end ($$$) design tools.

And even in these high-end ($$$) design tools, they don't work well.

I agree. If you've got a real mess on your hands, they can create a layout starting point while you're out at lunch, but no way I'd use them for a final design.

ak

I agree. If you've got a real mess on your hands, they can create a layout starting point while you're out at lunch, but no way I'd use them for a final design.

ak

I have tried this before but I found myself ripping up just about everything they did and starting over from scratch anyway.

I have not tried it but I believe Fritzing will take prototyping from schematic to breadboard to pc board, and it's free! E

This thread smells strongly of snake oil.:arghh:

spec

I use free Kicad and they have an automatic placement mode plus routing , but having never tried it I cannot comment as to how useful it is.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back