Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FOUND OUT SOMETHING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday i was doing an experiment and believe me it worked real good,
what i did:
1)took a graphite pencil and drew a deep line on a paper sometimes straight or curved
2)then took an open circuit of a LED and put the the two open terminals at both the ends of the pencil line
3)to my wonder the LED started glowing but dim
4)as i moved one terminal through the pencil line towards the other the glow became stronger
MY CONCLUSION:
1)pencil lines when drawn uniformly on a paper conduct electricity it even worked when i drew the lines on a wall
2)in my opinion pencil lines can be used as very efficient and cost effective rheostats(variable resistances).:)
ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE..........

actually in this you just need paper and pencil that is why it is cost effective.No new invention i know that.It can be made very easily and the resistors are very flexible too.now PCB just got new meaning-printed err.paper circuit board

actually in this you just need paper and pencil that is why it is cost effective.No new invention i know that.It can be made very easily and the resistors are very flexible too.now PCB just got new meaning-printed err.paper circuit board
What Ian is saying is that pencil lines are just stripes of carbon. Many resistors nowadays are carbon-based. Carbon is a resistive material, so the shorter it is the lower the resistance, and the longer it is the higher the resistance. That's why it dimmed the LED as you described.

Unfortunately this is a very old concept, carbon resistivity was discovered a long time ago, perhaps hundreds of years.

Dont be so quick to dismiss this!! I think he might be onto something. I would also like to throw the following observation into the mix, I found if you put salt water into a glass and use a carbon rod and a zinc rod then you can light a small bulb briefly!! If we had a sealed jar and brought the rods out each end we could have a portable power device and not have to use wall warts! Now tell me you can think of something like that already!! See you cant :D.

I also found this works with a potato, so if we wrapped the potato in a protective metal shell................

Dont be so quick to dismiss this!! I think he might be onto something. I would also like to throw the following observation into the mix, I found if you put salt water into a glass and use a carbon rod and a zinc rod then you can light a small bulb briefly!! If we had a sealed jar and brought the rods out each end we could have a portable power device and not have to use wall warts! Now tell me you can think of something like that already!! See you cant :D.

I also found this works with a potato, so if we wrapped the potato in a protective metal shell................

Okay, okay, that's enough picking :p

Discovery is one of the greatest things anyone could ever do. One learns much better if they discover something on their own, even if it's been discovered in the past. It's great that TM found this out for himself.

Matt

So could you make a faraday cage by drawing a grid on paper with a pencil?
Yes
Or copper tape. I am selling my canned potato device! I am thinking of calling it a battery as it looks battered

I'm not interested in overunity potatoes. Only in college ruled Faraday cages.
I can sell you a school ruled one as I am not at college yet, if that helps? I should add I am pretty good with a crayon

I can sell you a school ruled one as I am not at college yet, if that helps? I should add I am pretty good with a crayon
I think you are confused, little ghostman. A black crayon won't work as a rheostat.

Yesterday i was doing an experiment and believe me it worked real good,
what i did:
1)took a graphite pencil and drew a deep line on a paper sometimes straight or curved
2)then took an open circuit of a LED and put the the two open terminals at both the ends of the pencil line
3)to my wonder the LED started glowing but dim
4)as i moved one terminal through the pencil line towards the other the glow became stronger
MY CONCLUSION:
1)pencil lines when drawn uniformly on a paper conduct electricity it even worked when i drew the lines on a wall
2)in my opinion pencil lines can be used as very efficient and cost effective rheostats(variable resistances).:)
ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE..........

Time Travel!

Did you post this video about your invention today or two years ago.

I think you are confused, little ghostman. A black crayon won't work as a rheostat.
Shhhhh, I know that and you know that............................ I will bung you 50%, ;). Now go edit your post :D

dammit boy enough of your crayon art and soggy taters. How much for the penmanship paper faraday cage?
A4 or A3? lined or unlined? Quality paper or crap photocopier paper? I cant quote with such a lack of information, I am an artist you know

A4 or A3? lined or unlined? Quality paper or crap photocopier paper? I cant quote with such a lack of information, I am an artist you know

Faraday cages by Picasso.

image.jpg

see he used crayon

He also drew himself inside a cage with a dead rat and no toilet paper.
That will cost extra! Send your CC details and I will invoice you when its drawn ;). I take it you except PDF? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back