Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fostex VF160EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Rather than carry on in the previous thread (which was starting to look somewhat hijacked), I thought I'd start a new one!.

I mentioned this guy who had a Fostex VF160EX (see https://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/vf160ex.shtml), and couldn't work it.

So I took my 15 year old daughter Melissa to him, as she's doing an OCN Sound Engineering Course (plus she's the button pressing and knob twiddling age!).

She's never seen one of these before, but it didn't take her many minutes (without consulting the instruction book) to get it pretty well sorted. Pretty impressive watching one hand twiddling a jog shuttle control, and the other pressing buttons and moving sliders - all faster than you can see! - don't you hate flash little kids? :lol:

If that wasn't impressive enough?, she also had a play on his £20,000 grand piano, and impressed him further - particularly as she played without music - it seems commonplace among pianists that they can't play without the music in front of them?.

We're now taking bets on how long it is until he wants her again for further instruction? - I seriously doubt his ability to work it :lol:

I can also see Melissa wanting something similar?, which if she's going to use it, I wouldn't mind buying for her.

I remember looking at all those multitrack machines before deciding a computer would work out best. I don't regret the choice I made, but it depends what your doing. With the computer and an ordinary soundcard, you can only record one stereo or 2 mono instruments at a time via line in (using a mixer, I have a Yamaha 10/2, neat mini mixer that). Well, what I mean is that you can record as many as you can plug into the mixer, but they wil be condensed to 2 computer tracks. With that Fostex you can presumably do 16 and have 16 resultant seperate tracks, which can have fx added individually etc. So, really if your doing multitrack work, recording one or two instruments at a time, a computer should work out better, as it gives excellent visual feedback and offers huge processing power and flexability (there are lots of vst fx around, many are free). However, if you just want to record a whole band live, then the Fostex should be the better choice. They are about the same price, so its a fair comparison (Fostex jobby and pc with mixer). So, if its bedroom recording, layering up bass, then adding guitars etc, a computer will probably be faster and more flexable (or a laptop if it needs to be portable). But it is nice to be able to record a full live band and have all the instruments isolated. BTW, what is an OCN course?

Actually I was listening to those few songs @ and I have to say she has quite a talent.

You should be happy to have such a gifted child :p

PS: Isn't this topic a hidden Ad for Fostex International ? :wink:

Dr.EM said:
They are about the same price, so its a fair comparison (Fostex jobby and pc with mixer). So, if its bedroom recording, layering up bass, then adding guitars etc, a computer will probably be faster and more flexable (or a laptop if it needs to be portable). But it is nice to be able to record a full live band and have all the instruments isolated.

I think the other advantage of something like the Fostex is it's more 'real' interface with sliders for levels - I know your input mixer has this, but the output of the PC doesn't.

Plus no Windows crashes of course :lol:

BTW, what is an OCN course?

I've never been very sure :lol:

Presumably it's https://www.nocn.org.uk/, but it gives a similar qualification to an NVQ or a GCSE. She's doing the course at the studio where she rehearses and records, it's 24 track digital, it did use three A-DAT machines, but has recently upgraded to hard drive recording. The course is run by one of the recording engineers, and runs for 30 weeks, September till May, with both written and practical examinations. Apparently the course historically has a high drop out rate 8) particularly as the exams get closer :lol:

Melissa isn't likely to drop out, she's already been banned from answering any more verbal questions :lol:

BTW, the course material provided part way through the course looks to include a great deal of what you would normally do in your Music GCSE, including reading and understanding music notation - no problem for Melissa, she's been reading music for years (comes from piano lessons!).

Jay.slovak said:
Actually I was listening to those few songs @ and I have to say she has quite a talent.

Pity the band split up :cry:

The reasons seem fairly obscure?, but from what I can gather the others didn't think Melissa was reasonable expecting them to rehearse and practice?.

Still, she's got other bands she plays in as well, her next 'main' band InBetween have taken over the next Easily Amused gig on 9th Janurary.

You should be happy to have such a gifted child :p

VERY happy - although she can be a pain at times :lol:

She also registered with Warwick University under the NAGTY (National Association of Gifted and Talented Youth) scheme - she amongst the top of the class in pretty well all subjects.

Parent/Teacher night was quite funny!, the teacher was all excited over her results - we weren't!. So he asked why we didn't seem very impressed?, to which we replied - she's always had top results, so it's nothing new, but if she got poor results we'd be jumping up and down!.

BTW, she doesn't work at getting good results, she's naturally clever, she does most of her homework (when she does it!) in the pub - I'm surprised the school hasn't complained about beer stains on the homework :lol:

She also solders quite well (I gave her five minutes instruction), and has made a number of simple kits - they did a little soldering at school as well, where she was the best by far (including the teacher!).

PS: Isn't this topic a hidden Ad for Fostex International ? :wink:

If it is?, perhaps they will send me a free sample :lol:

Or if Tascam would like to, I'll do a free ad for them as well :lol:

Yeah, I bet she'll do really great in the course because she's interested in it and has a background from the piano lessons. I did music GCSE, but that didn't go well for me. I'm much happier with music tech A-level at college, though there are still aspects i'm not so certain on. I expect Melissa will want to do music tech at college? Bear in mind the course will almost certainly use computers a lot, we use them for the recording studio (8 channel sound card) and also for the sequencing/MIDI half of the course. In both cases, the program is Logic and is ran on Macs (though i'm not keen on Macs myself). It might be good to try and look at that program, though i'm sure she'd pick it up quickly by the sounds of it.

She into electronics aswell? Every year at our college there has been just 1 girl on the course :lol:

Dr.EM said:
Yeah, I bet she'll do really great in the course because she's interested in it and has a background from the piano lessons. I did music GCSE, but that didn't go well for me. I'm much happier with music tech A-level at college, though there are still aspects i'm not so certain on. I expect Melissa will want to do music tech at college? Bear in mind the course will almost certainly use computers a lot, we use them for the recording studio (8 channel sound card) and also for the sequencing/MIDI half of the course. In both cases, the program is Logic and is ran on Macs (though i'm not keen on Macs myself). It might be good to try and look at that program, though i'm sure she'd pick it up quickly by the sounds of it.

We don't really know what she wants to do!, obviously A levels after her GCSE's (she's forecast to get A's or A*'s in everything), but she's not decided what subjects to take yet. Presumably maths will be one?, because she already had a grade C GCSE from year 9 (as high as she could get), and a grade B from year 10 (so far), again as high as she can get - she should take another maths module in the spring, which gives her the chance for an A. As a result of this she's doing an extra maths GCSE (Statistics) as well.

There's also the problem of where to go for A levels, there's no sixth form at her school, so it means changing schools.

After that, presumably Uni?. Again, not decided where, but her school has close contacts with Sheffield Uni, she spent one day there in 2005 (where they built propellor driven model cars), she will spend two days in 2006, and a full week in 2007 (staying in student accomodation). As I mentioned, she's already registered with Warwick Uni, and was invited to a select presentation by Oxford/Cambridge Uni's.

She was considering doing a modern music course (at either Bath or Brighton) - but following the split of the band (they were all thinking of going), she's now considering Oxbridge (or elsewhere).

She into electronics aswell? Every year at our college there has been just 1 girl on the course :lol:

Only partly, as you say girls in Electronics are VERY rare, I used to take part in the Sharp Electronics Engineer of the Year contest (I won it twice), and there was a special catagory for women, so there was always two in the final (one from TV/VCR and one from Microwave). The Microwave one was about my age (and quite fit 8) ), and the TV/VCR one was younger (and VERY fit 8) - called Estelle if I remember correctly?). But it was the same two every year, it's a pity they stopped the competitions :cry:

I didn't know Fostex was still in business?

My dad has an old Fostex 4 channel mixer/tape deck....since replaced by a Mackie mixer (can't remember the model number)

I got to wire his new setup - hardware guy - with one of our older Macs, and it's working great. Up to 128 MIDI channels, and 32 of them dedicated to one instrument....

There's just something about hardware I love. I track on my computer, which is great for me (able to tweak every individual aspect of the note) but it's not the same as using a full setup.

I should get pics, but my camera's dead...and old. :oops:

I'd post my music, but am thinking about mp3.com....havent looked there yet but have seen a few other people. I'm going to read the terms very carefully....

-Infamous

Cool, I use both hardware and software here. Software is definately easier, but hardware makes you want to experiment more and gives better results generally I find. I don't know what style music you make, but electromancer is great if you want to host some mp3s of electronically produced stuff, look in my sig for the link :)

Alright thanks....

I do mostly more electronic-techno stuff (that I have mp3s of) but when I sit down at a keyboard my style changes completly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back