Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ford CAN information

TucsonDon

I have an instrument cluster that came out of a '20 Mustang GT from an IPC upgrade.

I would like to turn the cluster into a clock, is there some place I can go and get the CAN address and command information for the IPC module?

I have an instrument cluster that came out of a '20 Mustang GT from an IPC upgrade.

I would like to turn the cluster into a clock, is there some place I can go and get the CAN address and command information for the IPC module?
Probably not. The CANbus databases are commercial secrets.

What are you trying to send to the instrument pack? Graphical information isn't often sent on CANbus as there isn't really enough bandwidth for that.

It may be possible to reverse engineer the data on the CANbus. You would start with taking a log from the CANbus, and then seeing what signals are changing in response to the variable you are looking for. If you are looking for time signals, look for something that changes every second, and goes from 0 to 59 (or 0x3B if it's in hexadecimal) and then back to zero.

I've managed to find fuel level on car's CANbus by taking a log that started before the car was refuelled and ended when the fuel tank was full. Here is a graph of fuel level against time, using that information. The flat bits correspond to the car not being used. It was on a Jaguar X-type which shares a lot of features with a Ford Mondeo.

1699723441868.png

Probably not. The CANbus databases are commercial secrets.

What are you trying to send to the instrument pack? Graphical information isn't often sent on CANbus as there isn't really enough bandwidth for that.

It may be possible to reverse engineer the data on the CANbus. You would start with taking a log from the CANbus, and then seeing what signals are changing in response to the variable you are looking for. If you are looking for time signals, look for something that changes every second, and goes from 0 to 59 (or 0x3B if it's in hexadecimal) and then back to zero.

I've managed to find fuel level on car's CANbus by taking a log that started before the car was refuelled and ended when the fuel tank was full. Here is a graph of fuel level against time, using that information. The flat bits correspond to the car not being used. It was on a Jaguar X-type which shares a lot of features with a Ford Mondeo.

View attachment 143305
What I was looking for was data to control the gage sweeps and cluster indications. I can't "snoop" the data as the car is no longer available.

I do have a '19 F150 and a '19 Lincoln I wander if the data would be the same as a '20 Mustang?

I do have a '19 F150 and a '19 Lincoln I wander if the data would be the same as a '20 Mustang?
No idea.

I would guess that there would be some similarities, but I don't even know how many CANbuses there are on each car. You would have to snoop the bus that goes to the cluster.

It's likely that CAN IDs in the range 0x500 to 0x5FF are for network management, which is to do with when the modules go to sleep mode. IDs in the range 0x700 to 0x7FF are usually diagnostics.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back