Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

For windmill project..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablome

Ill have a dc motor that will generate voltage from the couple blades. What kind of battery should I use(preferably 12v) that will be coming from a charge controller.

What voltage do you have from the DC motor? How many amps? Which charge controller do you have?

Anyway, I would suggest lead-acid batteries because they are cheap, and can deal with punishment.

Jules_Theone -------------What voltage do you have from the DC motor? How many amps? Which charge controller do you have?

Anyway, I would suggest lead-acid batteries because they are cheap, and can deal with punishment. ---------------

DC motor is supposed to generate 12V DC. 1Amp..or thats after the inverter, 12Vac 1 amp. 50 W i think.

I don't understand -

12v x 1A = 12W

or

50W/12V = 4.1A

12Vac = 12v x 1.41* = 16.8Vdc

* (RMS)

13.8V is ideal for charging lead acid batteries, with the two diode drop from 16v it will be ok.

If you're using an inverter, that should have a battery low shut-down to stop the battery discharging too much, but it's also an idea to us a wind charger controller that can dump energy into a load when it's very windy or when the battery is fully charged.

I have a simple FET voltage clamp that dumps load into a high power resistor in a bucket of water when the voltage goes over 14v.

Last edited:
I don't understand -

12v x 1A = 12W

or

50W/12V = 4.1A

12Vac = 12v x 1.41* = 16.8Vdc

* (RMS)

13.8V is ideal for charging lead acid batteries, with the two diode drop from 16v it will be ok.

If you're using an inverter, that should have a battery low shut-down to stop the battery discharging too much, but it's also an idea to us a wind charger controller that can dump energy into a load when it's very windy or when the battery is fully charged.

I have a simple FET voltage clamp that dumps load into a high power resistor in a bucket of water when the voltage goes over 14v.

The 50W after the inverter, that makes more sense.

The 50W after the inverter, that makes more sense.

the inverter won't create power only up your input voltage and loose you 10 % of the wattage in the process (90 % efficient inverter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back