Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fooling around w/one of Colin's circuits (3V-9V converter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can replace a 9v battery with this circuit.
The output is about 10.4v on no load and 9.6v @30mA output.
The advantage is the voltage stays over 9v for the life of the cells.
A normal 9v battery drops to 7v very quickly.

The output voltage is set to 9-10v by the 6k8 and 390R resistors. The 470R gives the circuit an idling current of about 20mA
. The spikes are about 75mV.
**broken link removed**

Colin.....

Would 4.5V from 1.5V be possible?

I have an old HP28s calc that wants 3 Ncells for 4.5V. I'd much rather run it it with 1 AAA 1.5V alkaline due to the cost & availability of N cells were I live. Radio Shack wants 6 USD for a pair!

I can get 6 AAA (equiv.) from one 9 V alkaline for about 3 USD.... 0.50 USD per AAA/alkaline or a buck per pair ...a 3 x savings.

Using 1 AAA would give me the remaining batt space (about 125% AAA volume) to build the circuit. The batt. compartment cylinders are 12mm wide x 60mm and 12mm by 30mm holding the 3, 12 x 30mm N cells. . So the AAA will occupy 44mm of the 60mm tube and I still have another 30mm tube free.

Can it be done?

Last edited:
A 9V battery has six AAAA cells inside, not AAA cells. A skinny AAAA alkaline cell has a capacity of only 460mAh, an AAA cell is 1000mAh and an AA cell is 2500mAh. So an AAAA cell will not last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back