Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM TRANSMITTER WITHOUT A TRIMMER CAPACITOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trimmer capacitor probably sets the output radio frequency. My FM transmitter uses its 5pF-35pF trimmer capacitor C6 to adjust the radio frequency anywhere on the 88MHz to 108MHz FM broadcast band. Your trimmer goes as high as 100pF to go down to the 76MHz low frequency limit of the Japanese FM broadcast band. My trimmer C13 peaks the RF strength at the radio frequency you are using.

Why didn't you post the schematic of the circuit you are building? Here is mine that is built on stripboard and has a 5V low dropout voltage regulator so that the radio frequency does not change as the 9V battery voltage runs down:
I tried to simulate the circuit in Multisim. Here are the result. The second photo is that of the signal analyzer. The one on the left is that from the microphone but that on the right just shows a straight line after a second transit. Please help me. Thanks

Attachments

• Project simulation result 2.PNG
    Project simulation result 2.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Project simulation result.PNG
    Project simulation result.PNG
    34.6 KB · Views: 282
Your 'scope tries to show an audio signal. But the output of an FM transmitter is not an audio signal, instead it is a radio signal at a MUCH higher frequency.
You have a very high audio frequency of 10kHz which is boosted by the pre-emphasis made with C4. Then your XLV2 audio signal level must be about only 1mV.

You are using the FM transmitter circuit I designed 14 years ago but I used a 9V battery for its design. You are using 12V which causes a much higher output power which is illegal without a transmitter licence. Also the circuit must be changed for using 12V so that the output does not produce distortion harmonics that interfere with important police, ambulance and fire dept. communications. If the RF cops catch you then you will be in big trouble.

Another problem you show is that your simulation is missing an important 75 ohms whip antenna.
Here is a simulation of the radio frequency from the radio parts of my transmitter:

Attachments

• FM transmitter.gif
    FM transmitter.gif
    98.4 KB · Views: 221
  • FM transmitter output power.PNG
    FM transmitter output power.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 314
I found the FM transmitter module only at Chinese sites and most say it is not available.
Some of the writing on the datasheet are in Chinese.

Your 'scope tries to show an audio signal. But the output of an FM transmitter is not an audio signal, instead it is a radio signal at a MUCH higher frequency.
You have a very high audio frequency of 10kHz which is boosted by the pre-emphasis made with C4. Then your XLV2 audio signal level must be about only 1mV.

You are using the FM transmitter circuit I designed 14 years ago but I used a 9V battery for its design. You are using 12V which causes a much higher output power which is illegal without a transmitter licence. Also the circuit must be changed for using 12V so that the output does not produce distortion harmonics that interfere with important police, ambulance and fire dept. communications. If the RF cops catch you then you will be in big trouble.

Another problem you show is that your simulation is missing an important 75 ohms whip antenna.
Here is a simulation of the radio frequency from the radio parts of my transmitter:
Dear Sir. I have effected the changes of the battery but not getting the breakthrough. I'm missing something. What could it be

Attachments

• new result.PNG
    new result.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 204
  • new circuit.PNG
    new circuit.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 228
Dear Sir. I have effected the changes of the battery but not getting the breakthrough. I'm missing something. What could it be
I'm using multisim 12.0 for the simulation. Will be glad if your design are in this or circuit wizard. Thanks in anticipation

Your left scope photo shows severely distorted rectified music or voices audio. The right photo shows 9 something (9V?).
The output of the transmitter has no audio, instead it has around 100MHz that has its frequency varied a small amount by the audio.
Speed up the timebase setting of the oscilloscope to show the 100MHz, or add an FM receiver to show audio.

I have never used Multisim so maybe it does not show oscillation unless the oscillator is kicked to get it started. The actual circuit starts with noise but the simulation probably does not have noise. Therefor the output is at 9V.

I used a signal
Your left scope photo shows severely distorted rectified music or voices audio. The right photo shows 9 something (9V?).
The output of the transmitter has no audio, instead it has around 100MHz that has its frequency varied a small amount by the audio.
Speed up the timebase setting of the oscilloscope to show the 100MHz, or add an FM receiver to show audio.

I have never used Multisim so maybe it does not show oscillation unless the oscillator is kicked to get it started. The actual circuit starts with noise but the simulation probably does not have noise. Therefor the output is at 9V.
I used a signal analyzer for both inputs and output in multisim. I will try using an oscillator

The second transistor is an oscillator operating at about 100MHz.
Your oscilloscope is setup to see audio but the output of the radio transmitter has no audio, instead its output is a 100MHz radio signal.

Noted
The second transistor is an oscillator operating at about 100MHz.
Your oscilloscope is setup to see audio but the output of the radio transmitter has no audio, instead its output is a 100MHz radio signal.
Noted Sir. I will look for an oscillator that shows the FM signal and get back to you. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Why are you looking for an oscillator? The circuit already has the second transistor as its oscillator. You need to setup the simulation to see the output of the circuit.
What frequency do you expect to see at the output of this FM transmitter?

Why are you looking for an oscillator? The circuit already has the second transistor as its oscillator. You need to setup the simulation to see the output of the circuit.
What frequency do you expect to see at the output of this FM transmitter?
I want to see a FM modulated signal at the output

How can you see FM modulation? When at 100% modulation the frequency of the 100MHz signal changes only 75kHz which is less than one thousandth.

Good afternoon. Please how can I modify this circuit to use a jack plug instead of the microphone as inputs. Thanks

Attachments

• FM-transmitter-bug.jpg
    FM-transmitter-bug.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 428
How can you see FM modulation? When at 100% modulation the frequency of the 100MHz signal changes only 75kHz which is less than one thousandth.
As usual AG you are quite correct.
However, there is a way but using real world equipment rather that some software simulator thing.

By connecting a good oscilloscope with stable triggering to the IF amplifier of a suitable receiver, it is possible to see the broadening of the trace after several cycles of the RF waveform.
It can be done with the usual 10.7MHz IF, but a lower frequency IF is better.

My Modulation Meter which is basically a receiver, has an IF of 1.5MHz.
Using this it is very easy to see the effects of FM modulation on the carrier.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back