Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

floating chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

We are trying to make an electromagnetic floating chair (so the seat is repelled from the bottom)

are we on the right track with:
www.duramag.com/electro/fr_round.htm

we want it to hold about 300 lbs, are the ratings on the page measuring the same thing we are talking about? (like if we put 2 together North to North will it take 600 lbs to push them together?)

the plan is to face 2 together so 1 floats on the other (like ring magnets on a pencil)

any comments/ideas on this?

i remembter something like this in an old physichs book. the electromagnet was build on a star structure. the wiring started from one direction, and then on the center it reversed and was going in the other way. it was powered from a.c. and it was suppose to hold a metal bown about 20 cm from it.
about making it to hold a chair, i dont know, you will require lots of power. but you can wind your own magnet. the idea is to produce N-N and S-S so that whatever you hold on top that carries magnetic wave(certainly the chair will not be from wood) is rejected.
see if you can find anything else on the web.

No reason it should not work - at least in theory. The mechanics might take some time to resolve. For instance, I would think the person sitting on the seat would have to be perfectly balanced - keeping the load (his butt) from shifting all the weight to one side.

also, think that the electromagnetic field generated by this is quite high, so i dont think that it will do good to devices placed near by. maybe event to the person.
yes, it should work in theory, but in practice....you got tu keep your butt still :lol:

I don't know much about this, but I think you do the coolest stuff david. All the stuff is really cool. I just wish I could come up with the ideas that you do
Thanks
Chris

I believe i have found a way to solve your problem dealing with the occupants motion. With my idea you would'nt include electromagnets in fact it wouldnt actually hover. It would kinda be like that pen from the discovery store that you put in the center of a donut shaped magnet for it to rest. Using the same principles your chair would be that pen with a chair on tha top.

David - I have to agree that you have jumped into so many projects with such energy that I am jelous. It's all I can do to find the time to work on a few things each year. Oh well, I'd probably get worn out just watching you work...

haha thanks guy... i am just fascinated by this stuff lol i want to learn as much as i can as a hobby so i can dive even deeper next year at college (EE, remember you cant spell geek without EE!!)

we have ordered some non electromagnets, those neyodynium ones... they sound pretty strong.. i'll post some pics when they get here and i start working on it :)

next project is a keyless entry for my car... i'll start a new thread for that :)

I'm very interested on that keyless system. Will you use a transceiver? Let me now if you start the project, please! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back