Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flickering Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudeler

I'm trying to wire a 1.5 to 6v bulb so that it flickers or blinks rapidly and I'm looking for a basic wire diagram.
Will use a couple of double A's or 9volt to power it and just want to keep it simple -
I've purchased some flicker type bulbs from Radio Shack, but I need a faster flicker rate -
Can someone explain how to wire this using, perhaps, a small flashlight sized bulb?

Thanks-

If you are talking about ordinary filament bulbs, there is a limit how fast you can make them flicker. The wire element takes time to heat up and cool down.
For faster flickering ranges you are better off with LED's, you can make them flicker very fast indeed, faster than the eye can see :wink: , which is up to about 25 Hz or so.
Klaus

The LEDs would not produce enough light - At least the ones I'm familiar with - I would like to use a small ordinary filament style bulb (replacement bulbs for flashlights) to flicker inside something the size of a shoe box.

When I connect the 6v bulb to a 9v battery, then disconnect one of the wires to the battery and rapidly tap the wire on the battery the bulb flickers - This is what I would like to replicate
If the filament does not completely "cool" that's fine.

Thanks-

Try using an astable circuit, like a 555 to make your lamp flash.

The astable 555 circuit would work, but a little pricey for the number of units I'm looking at. Is there a way, possibly, using capacitors to produce the same results as the 555?
Desired effect is flickering a 6v filament flashlight type bulb rapidly. The bulb does not need to be fully charged or discharged, just looking for the rapid flashing rate.

Thanks-

I just looked at Jameco and their 555 is 54 cents. Now it will probably need a few resistors, a capacitor, and a transistor but I would think that, you could do the whole thing for under $3.

How about the little Christmas tree flashing lights? Anyone know if they will work on DC? They have a little heat sensitive switch built right in.

You can do it using LM317 regulator IC too. Check out Nationals LM317 datasheet for sample flasher schematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back