Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fixing Enter key of laptop keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

I have lifted Enter key from my laptop IBM R51e (old laptop) to clean the dust and underneath there was a wire that I don't know where is supposed to fit.
Buy the look of it's size I think it should go opposite of the larger wire that is connected to the keyboard but not sure how to fit this.
Can someone tell me where and how to put this wire?
IMG_20221001_172450.jpg

I think I figured out how it's supposed to go.
It goes under the little hinges on the keyboard (on picture you can see just one) and two hooks go to the plastic peace, but it seems that the plastic got loose so the hooks doesn't hold.
Key can be put back and it works, the second wire was probably for the additional support.

I'd expect the bar to go in the keycap and the hooked ends go in to the metal slots.

Plus it is supposed to clip down on to the cantilever keyswitch mechanics, from the look of the protrusions in the centre of the keycap?

When I lifted keycap, bar was oriented in such way that it looked like the hooks fell out of keycap slots, not metal slots.
I don't know how it would fit on to the centre of keycap, can you explain that?

I don't know how it would fit on to the centre of keycap, can you explain that?
The loose metal bar would fit the groove at the far right of the keycap, as it is in the photo.
The two bars between them keep the keycap parallel to the keyboard chassis as it moves up and down, to stop it wobbling.

The central clips on the cap should latch on to the small black cantilever mechanism on top of the key switch. Those are what retain the keycap to the keyboard.

I removed loose bar and put back keycap because it's ok without it, it's just for additional support because key is twice as big as the one in posted video.
I didn't notice before I opened the key but that bar fell off long time ago and I've been using Enter key without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back