First E-Ink magazine... torn apart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I'm sure you have all heard of E Ink (electronic ink) before.

i was lucky enough to be shopping in a book store today, and my dad happen to see the first magazine to feature E Ink on its cover (Esquire Magazine).... Long story short, i conned him into buying it for me so i could tear it apart.

After ripping the cover off, and discarding the rest of the magazine )), this is what i got:

**broken link removed****broken link removed**

One E INK display on top, and one upside down display on the bottom. Driver board in the middle

This is the driver board. It consists of a PIC12F629, and two HEF4094BT 8-stage shift-and-store bus registers. There is also an ICD connector. The 6 yellow things are 3v lithium batteries. It LOOKS as if they are all ran in series at a quick glance. But i have not had a chance to test this.

There are no components on the back of the board. Just traces.

Here is a picture of both "screens."

Although this E-Ink module is segmented, and not dot matrix, it is still a really cool toy. When i get a chance, i want to do some hacking on this board, but until then, i hope this poorly written writeup can wet a few of your appetites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…