Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finished my first project :D(need some help on some fine tuning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
great the thing died on me...
its eidter that or the poilce somehow found the frequancy and killed it :\

Police can't kill a frequency. If they find that you are causing radio or TV interference then they will simply take away your circuit, shoot you and cut off your head.

A fun little thing to do is to cut off the plug to headphones and attach the 2 wires to a motor. You can hear the sound or music emitting from the motor. Try it!

audioguru said:
Police can't kill a frequency. If they find that you are causing radio or TV interference then they will simply take away your circuit, shoot you and cut off your head.
ok...
but seriously what happend?
could there be a chance that because my mp3 played had a low batt it stopped working?

Sceadwian said:
Audioguru, a fence playing an AM radio station is a far cry from a filling. A fence actually has a prayers chance of being an antenna and receiving some degree of power, although I can't imagine what's acting as a detector. A piece of metal 1/4 inch long is what, 1/50,000th or so of a wavelength at AM frequencies.

You're probably too young to remember 'real' crystal sets, you had a hunk of rock (galena) and poked a thin wire at it (cats whisker), this makes quite an effective detector, once you find a sensitive spot.

Fillings are quite plausible, it's not like it's one single and solid piece of metal, it's the interface between parts which can make a detector. Likewise with a fence - joints between pieces could work as a detector.

How are filling plausible Nigel? It's hard enough to get a decent signal from a crystal set with a purpose built ultra high impedance earpiece, let alone an efficient antenna.

Sceadwian said:
How are fillings plausible? (to detect AM radio)
Because many AM radio station transmitters have a power of hundreds of thousands of Watts. They are located where people live.

I can see how it would be nearly impossible to replicate fillings as a radio receiver in a lab or on TV, but would write it off as 'never happened'.

Considering the number of people struck by lightning here in Florida (lightning capital of the world), the human body acts as a very good antenna. Fillings vary in composition, there is no standard alloy. All kinds of electrical crap going on in the body, doubt anyone actually understands 100% of it. Your mouth is full of possibilities and variables. Spit (don't want to attempt spelling the proper term...), is an acid, of varying strength, and conducts electricity fairly well, can also be used to produce electricity. Toothe enamel is a insulator, metal fillings are conductors. Unless you drink a lot of hard liquer, there will be bacteria, feeding off all the the stuff hidden in between the teeth.

If a crystal radio can be made from a piece of wire, razor blades, and a chunk of coal, why is it so hard to believe radio waves can be recieved by a mouth full of fillings?

Because in order to be plausible there would have to be a set of reproducible conditions that were prevalent at the time when the claims were made that produce the claimed results under controlled conditions. Something to do with some silly thing called the scientific method. audioguru is right about one thing, the amount of power put out by AM stations can result in all sorts of odd things, like items in the room, house wiring, basically anything metal becoming re-transmitters of the source signal though slightly shifted from the inductive and capacitive loading of the line resulting in some kind of ideal free air detecton situation (like high frequency transformer hum). The idea of a tooth filling regardless of it's construction (aside from being an IC of course) being an antenna suitable for reception including a detector and still have enough output impedance to drive the jaw bone significantly to be able to hear is completly ludicrous at AM frequencies on it's own. Unless of course you can reproduce it. This thread is honestly growing to the point where it belongs in the free energy forum. I could in my own mind conceed some kind of weird near field magnetic effects with local harmonic metalic bodies creating a detector, but not the human body alone with a filling, regardless of it's 'simple' makeup.

Last edited:
guys your going off-topic so please just answer me question and go off topic as long as you like

We answered your questions.
You used the wrong parts and you didn't use a circuit board.

The project is supposed to transmit the sounds of your voice without any noise to an FM radio that is tuned to its frequency.

The aM broadcast band is at a frequency that is 100 times less than the FM broadcast band so a transmitter might work if it is made on a breadboard.

I don't know if an AM transmitter will work with the ferrite bar antenna from a radio and without a very long antenna.

It also must be made with the correct parts.

Sceadwian said:
Because in order to be plausible there would have to be a set of reproducible conditions that were prevalent at the time when the claims were made that produce the claimed results under controlled conditions. Something to do with some silly thing called the scientific method. ....... The idea of a tooth filling regardless of it's construction (aside from being an IC of course) being an antenna suitable for reception including a detector and still have enough output impedance to drive the jaw bone significantly to be able to hear is completly ludicrous at AM frequencies on it's own. Unless of course you can reproduce it. .......

There were reports of tooth fillings acting as a radio receiver. They were even verified putting (the tooth owner) inside a room, asking him what was he hearing and comparing it with a radio that was outside the room. This is a sort controlled conditions enviroment.

Of course you can´t "make" a tooth filling that acts as a radio receiver, it just happened.

And this receiver was not "making audio" (sound waves) to be "hearable" in the traditional way (thru a human ear).

It just took some energy from the radio waves, detected (demodulated) the audio program and generated some electricity (a few mv or even :mu:V). The filling was in contact with the nerve inside the toot and the electricity excited the nerve sending the information to the brain.

I'm trying to imagine how one would "hear" or "feel" the their tooth filling picking up a radio station....... Maybe sort of a buzzing sensation? Tingling? It would certinly be weird. I have heard of it, but always discredited it as a myth.

I remember somone on here (AudioGuru maybe?) saying that it was possible to light a blue LED faintly by holding it in the presence of strong radio waves. I've never seen it done, but it sounds more likly then the whole filling thing.

ecerfoglio can you provide links to substantiate those events?
Andy, Red LED's maybe, I've actually heard small red LED's make decent detectors for crystal sets. The forward voltage of a white LED is upwards of 3 volts usually. Sure it's possible but it'd require a heck of a lot of power. Maybe just a long piece of wire next to the transmitter.

Sceadwian said:
ecerfoglio can you provide links to substantiate those events?....

Sorry, i have heard about it many years ago (and it was before the Internet was times).

It may be just a myth, but i remember it being told as a true story.

I told about it because you need (a lot of) power to make an audible sound, but only a few :mu:W to excite a nerve.

I think it's possible that it's true, but I'll keep my reservations until I see some strong scientifice evidence to prove it.

im sorry for the bump but a new problem has happend...
after buying the parts(atlast) and the right trnasistors i couldn't manged to figure how to work with the varriable cap unlike the pics its a really small one
so just to test out i took it out and put in the fixed cap i used for the first test and i got nothing i think the diffrent current gain from the 2n3904 made the freq change...
after i get back to school il re build this *******
(and don't tell me that its because i am using a breadboard because it worked more then once)

maor said:
(and don't tell me that its because i am using a breadboard because it worked more then once)

IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE BUILDING IT ON A BREADBOARD!!

NO DOUBTS, NO ERRORS - YOU CAN'T BUILD VHF CIRCUITS ON BREADBOARDS

Sorry for the shouting, but you don't appear to be paying attention?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back