Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding the right portable battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the fridge tells you the temperature inside, displayed on the outside lid. So I would not need to open it.

Would this one work? **broken link removed**
It is for a different medi fridge but had a battery that actually came with it, go figure.

Hi all, well thank you for so many responses! Yes, it is a fact I am a girl.
So the first one by Ubergeek, https://www.batteryspace.com/Custom...ry-12.8V-1800-mAh-23Wh-4S3P-Flat-Pack-2A.aspx, I don't see how this would fit on my mini fridge, it doesn't look like it would plug into it. Sorry I may be missing something.
KISS did mention a possible one, **broken link removed**, or even https://www.batteryspace.com/portab...rwith110vacand5vusboutput---poweronthego.aspx.
I understand that my insulin doesn't need to be refrigerated all the time, and thank you for taking that into your considerations, but I have had a lot of problems arise on my last few trips. Even where the insulin froze by the time I got there and had 1 pen and 4 bottles completely useless. This is what I want to avoid. No situation is ideal and I want to be in control of my surroundings as much as possible.
Oh by the way, I can take batteries on a airplane just none that are not sealed. So those work so far!
Thank you for all your suggestions. I will see if I can get any of those from Canada (Another challenge itself).

freezing is indeed a problem... 4"x3.5" and 9oz is too BIG???? (perhaps you misread something)

true... no matter what you get you will have to hack on a connector unless you get lucky.

Dan

The 7.4 V and the chemistry not being mentioned is a big problem.

In any event, I would not put Insulin in the cargo bay of an airplane. It really needs to be carried by you.

If this was travel within the US, I'd even consider purchasing the meds at the destination or at least have it available as a backup plan. Another option to consider is mailing the Insulin to your destination if you were, say, visiting friends. Packing it in a Styrofoam container with an refrigeration pack is the way mail-order pharmacies ship Insulin.

Medicool also has a bag that contains a block sized for a bottle that you put in the fridge. You insert it into a styrofoam carrier in their Diabetic Bag. Some areas might have Insulin available without a prescription. If your staying at a hotel, I believe you can generally get a room with a fridge for medical reasons.

Remember that there is a U-500 Insulin which is 5x more concentrated than U-100. https://www.uspharmacist.com/content/s/126/c/20822/ and it might be able to cut down on the volume of Insulin you need to carry.

So, it's just some other ideas.

KeepItSimpleStupid... my wife was on U500 for a while when she was doing particularly poor while on the pump... did you know the stuff is on the top 10 most dangerous prescription drugs list? It is to easy to OD on.

I can believe it. What does puzzle me is I would expect people to do better on the pump. My hA1c isn't where it's supposed to be. I can't use artificial sweeteners (migraines) and I'm insulin resistant. I'd love to be able to have a real-time glucose monitor. One issue is, I don't always take the Insulin early enough. The second, is that the migraines mess everything up. The requirements change and I might miss a dose etc.

well we have found that insulin resistance is related to diet... i think she is down to the point that she would have 4 days on normal insulin in the pump again .... but it adds an extra $100 per month to our $1200 per month health bill :(

in our case it has a lot to do with the $220/wk "employee contribution" ... a $2500 loan to pay for the pump did not help either :(

Sometimes a good ol' Ice pack can save the day.

If I have to cool something fast so that it doesn't spoil I use ice. In a refrigerator/cooler, ice lasts a loong time, couple of days. Just bag 'em up in zip locks and pack the fridge. If u can't get power (or more ice) in 2 days u shouldn't be there with anyone who is ill.
On board aircraft, ships, trains etc. u can get as much ice as u want.

With raw ice in bags your items won't freeze. If u want 'em to freeze add salt to the ice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back