Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FETS as volt. controlled resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftRights

I want to use a FET as a Voltage controlled resistor for the RC circut in a monostable multivibrator. With the FET handle 5v? What kind of FET handles the most voltage? Is there anything that I can use that will handle 5V.

Also, the multi- vibrator is already there so I can't replace it with anything (ie VCO's).

Help would be greatly appreciated.

While it's true that a FET can be used as a VCR, they only work well in small-signal applications. For large signals such as those encountered in a multivibrator, I don't think you will be pleased with the results. A voltage-controlled current source is a much better choice. What type of monostable multivibrator (AKA one-shot) are you using? Can you post an IC part number, or better yet, a schematic?

Oh yeah and FYI, you can get FETS that handle from 10V to many thousands of Volts so don't worry 'bout that.

Optikon said:
Oh yeah and FYI, you can get FETS that handle from 10V to many thousands of Volts so don't worry 'bout that.

is this true? can they handle +/-5v working as voltage controlled resitors? I heard that they were limited to millivolts...

+/- Supplies

I think for the +/- you must use not a simple JFET but a MOSFET.

As I said previously,
Ron H said:
While it's true that a FET can be used as a VCR, they only work well in small-signal applications. For large signals such as those encountered in a multivibrator, I don't think you will be pleased with the results. A voltage-controlled current source is a much better choice. What type of monostable multivibrator (AKA one-shot) are you using? Can you post an IC part number, or better yet, a schematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back