Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Favorite Suppliers and best deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to sell the original 8086 computers in Tandy in the UK.

Dug out an old memo the other day congratulating me for being the top salesman in the district lmao

Dawny said:
In Australia I use.

Dick Smith Electronics: http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront (mainly because there is one just down the street from me.)
Jaycar Electronics: http://www.jaycar.com.au/ (Has some stuff cheaper then others.)
Altronics: http://www.altronics.com.au/ (Don't use them often, sort of more costly.)

Just lately I have to say I've been using **broken link removed** they seem ok when they remember to send an order. Also I have an order coming in from The Electronic Goldmine (I hope.)

Dawn.

so lucky to be very close to dicksmith!!
you also have branches of UK based RS Components--

So far:

Jaycar www.jaycar.com.au
For variety. They stock different types of everything, but not the kitchen sink. How often do you need 20 different types of SMD switches?

Dick Smith www.dse.com.au
For cheap components. The common ones, and don't ask staff for assistance; they're sales people. :)

Altronics www.altronics.com.au
For some things Jaycar doesn't stock. Better variety of kits and tools.

Farnell www.farnell.com.au
If in need, prices are expensive. They stock everything, but be willing to part with your inheritance to purchase.

and

Black Box www.blackbox.com.au
Fairly expensive, but the 'Ultimate' warranty terms. They even cover dog damage under their warranty. :p

The good ones I've found in Australia anyway...

Radio Shack :( or circuit city/ the source what ever they are calling it this month. I have been looking around and have yet to find one, can anyone help me out with a supplier in western Canada? (West of the Rocky's/the good part of Canada ;) in a perfect world but I am sure that wont happen)

Well don't blame me for using Search, and hashing up an old thread.
I have just used www.futurlec.com form some cheapies stuff with cheap shipping, risking the South African PO (known villans employed but with a strong union)
I see another rock bottom store Sure Electronics' Shop (Chinese) and am wondering about anyones experiences with them ? They seem to have a good ebay rating.

Well don't blame me for using Search, and hashing up an old thread.
I have just used www.futurlec.com form some cheapies stuff with cheap shipping,

They are my only option since most of the others either have minimum order or cost fortun for shipping using express mail.

i don't see any electronic components in tandy???

They used to sell them but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't anymore. Tandy no longer exist here in the UK anyway.

I like **broken link removed** for all sorts of led's and random soldering stuff, plus the shippings free.

Like a **broken link removed** of white led's for $1.87

Last edited:
I think RadioShack was called Tandy in the UK? But they closed down I believe.
I use Rapid as much as possible, they are very well priced, and efficient service. I have had stuff from Futurelec too, and always been pretty quick.
Jim

If you have not yet done so give a try. It is a search engine for electronics parts. A single search will find what vendors carry the part and provide prices. Currently it seems to mostly or all US but I think that will change as they gain momentum.

You can search by part number or by keywords like "voltage regulator LDO". A keyword match will give you the option of adding additional filters like input our output voltage.

This is a good example of what you can do with a degree and no job experiance. Octopart was started by a couple of guys fresh out of grad school. It is not a perfect tool but it is the only/best one I have found.

Does anyone have experience dealing with the places do not give a price but ask you to request a quote. Are they interested in small orders ?

Last edited:
www.futurlec.com... cheap shipping, risking the South African POffice. I see another rock bottom store ...Sure Electronics' Shop ...

Ah, Futurlec. Got my item, and a 25% customs surchage, so I will have to take that into consideration next time. It took about 7 days from futurlec dispatching till it was tracked into SA Post, and another 5 days till I receive a request from the customs officer @ SA PostOffice to contact them. And another 5 till I got it finally.

Sadly, they missed out a 64TQFP adapter ( they sent 1of2 only and another LQFP48). Must be a honest mistake, I will try them again. I also tried sure-electronics, and they have dispatched already, so I am expecting more customs hiccups. They have incredible pricing on LCDS (HD44780 2x16 @ $3.61) , the shipping on my +$20 was another $10 though. But it seems worth it.

Finally, DealExtreme was suggested above, I took a chance, and got my items in 2 weeks. They had some solder paste @+- $3.5 dollars, free shipping, and I decided that it was worth the chance. SD card readers for under $2.5, I am suprised at how tiny they turned out. If you have a paypal account, and a few dollars to spare, I suggest you take a chance with them. Some exciting stuff and cheap excellent presents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back