Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

It seems to me the cost of making a fake capacitor like this will cost the same or more as making a real capacitor. I have seen winding machines that make capacitors it would only take and extra 2 seconds to make a 6800uf vs 2200uf. It will take much longer to put a 2200uf inside a 6800uf case plus the cost of extra parts and extra labor how can the manufacture not be loosing money.

Fake.jpg

They make anything fake over there. Maybe the real capacitor was thrown away because it is defective?
What will happen when they begin selling their cars over here?

I saw a youtube video on fake ICs.
What they showed is people heating up mother boards and banging then on the ground so the parts fell off. (smd) Or using a solder pot and pliers to remove parts.
Then a company gets the parts and re-tins the leads and re-burns the name back on the part. The leads are straightened . The parts look new but are old and have just gone through hell. It is also common for the new part number to show a new revision which is not true.

I once found a AAA battery inside a AA case. I don't remember where I got those batteries it may have been rechargables I bought on ebay or Walmart. Rechargable batteries that did not work as claimed, Eneloop batteries work great.

I used a Harbor Freight coupon to get a free bargain pack of AA batteries they are very light weight like balsa wood. They work but don't last long I cut 1 in 1/2 it was full of little white balls about 3/32" diameter. I never saw a battery built like that before.

I don't usually learn an item is trash until after I buy it and try it.

I've seen this picture posted many times but never heard of anyone actually seeing one.
actually, i've seen at least 3 or 4 of these. i don't know what distributor they had been bought from, but there were 3 or 4 of these in a part bin at a place i worked at. if you picked them up the right way you feel a slight vibration. if you hit them on the side with a screwdriver handle, you can hear the capacitor inside vibrating. i got curious and opened one up, and what i found was very similar to that picture. you have to keep in mind, a few cents worth of difference between the two caps might not seem like much. it's when they sell lots of a million or more caps to distributors or equipment manufacturers that the slight price difference makes sense.

Why do some people think there is nothing wrong with cheating someone else. It would never occur to me to do that. Bible says, love of money is the root of all evil.

More likely a used/scavenged rubycon installed in that contraption thingy and being sold as a new 6800uf.
Or possibly a staged pic...for whatever reason - maybe a relatively-modern amp project, designed to look old-skool?
Can't seem to find much info on that image, other than 'untitled.jpg'.

Or possibly a staged pic...for whatever reason - maybe a relatively-modern amp project, designed to look old-skool?

As far as I'm aware it was a VERY common scam, with Chinese crooks selling such capacitors for high priced audio construction and upgrades.

i think that originally came from badcaps.com, or from the diyaudio forum.
Are these the same people that bought oxygen free cables?
that's a whole other can of worms... i saw a comparison between teflon insulated, oxygen free, cryogenically de-stressed, pure silver wire, zero skin-effect (i'd like to know how they managed that one, because skin effect is essentially part of the physics of wire and cables) speaker cables versus a set of 6AWG battery cables, and there was NO measurable difference between the two in any way whatsoever. the only measurable difference, between the "fancy" cables and the battery cables was the price.... $300.00 per foot for the fancy cables and about $2.00 per foot for the battery cables.

Are these the same people that bought oxygen free cables?

Mike.

Not really, if you're building adecent audio amp, then you need good quality (not stupidly priced) main electrolytics, and these are pretty expensive items - considering the Chinese crooks will relabel tiny IC's and transistors that only cost a few pence they will certainly make fake electrolytics that cost hundreds of times more. The same applies to power transistors used in audio amps, with vast numbers of pirate fakes coming from the Chinese crooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back