Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fading eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwise

I have seen circuits for "fading eyes" where 2 LEDs fade in and then out over a period of time (NE555). I have 10 LEDs and would like to build a circuit to fade in and out over a 12 hour period (LEDs go in fish tank and I would like to simulate a moon cycle - I know, a little much...). Any ideas? Can I modify the fading eyes circuit w/ resistor/capacitor to increase period? Thanks for your help.

samwise said:
I have seen circuits for "fading eyes" where 2 LEDs fade in and then out over a period of time (NE555). I have 10 LEDs and would like to build a circuit to fade in and out over a 12 hour period (LEDs go in fish tank and I would like to simulate a moon cycle - I know, a little much...). Any ideas? Can I modify the fading eyes circuit w/ resistor/capacitor to increase period? Thanks for your help.

i think the attachment will work as u expect
R is a resistor the C is a high val cap, X is a led , remember the max o/p current of 555 u may need a current limiting res too.

Attachments

• 555_667.gif
    555_667.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 413
12 hours is a long delay for a 555.

Besides, it won't be very accurate and you will need a large capacitor.

It would be better to use either a PIC or a counter.

If you are using 10 white LEDs in series, 35 volts plus current limiting resistor is needed. 10 LEDs in parallel will need 10 current limiting resistors and about 5 volts & 100 mA drive. An 8 bit binary counter and crude D/A will provide a 12 hour cycle. Do you want 6hrs brightening and 6 hours dimming or 12 hours brightning and 12 hours dimming?

Further to Russlk's suggestion. You could use a 4020 CMOS counter. It has 14 stages, connect a R/2R digital to anologue converter to the last 8 outputs.

Connect an emitter follower to the output of the DAC with series/parallel strings of LEDs and rersistors from its emitter.

The power supply could be 12 Volt since the 4000 series CMOS can operate at up to at least 15 Volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back