Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extending laptop charger cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

The coaxial cable (3 wires) from my laptop charger to my laptop broke, and while fixing it I thought I may as well give it some more length (about 5 meters). Would there be any problems if I used 5 meters of normal power cable (3 wires running parallel to one another) to lengthen the coaxial cable?

My only concern would be if the gauge if the wires is too big there might be a voltage drop problem, other than that I don't see why not. Try it, it's your laptop :)

dont want to break my laptop or anything:S i read somewhere that if you dont use coaxial cable there's interference or something so you dont get a smooth power supply... is this anything to worry about? what's the worst that could happen?

The main reason for the coaxial cable is probably to prevent the laptop from interfering with nearby radio receivers. Unshielded cable increases the risk that some nearby radio receivers will pick up unwanted noise.

If you extend it with wire that's too thin it will take longer to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back