Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

expresspcb users = print mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

There has to be an easier way to print a mirror image in express pcb program.
The method I have been using is print on inkjet in mirror under printer preferences.
then scan then print on hp laserjet 1320 (have yet to see any option to print mirror)
and yes I have tried Eagle = learning curve etc tooo steep. The expresspcb prg works great, except this mirror printing feature.
all my circuits are in express pcb anyway

Some photo programs have a mirror option for any photo/graphic. You would do a "Print Screen" copy of the layout into the clipboard and then paste the clipboard into the photo program. Then do the mirror image of the graphic.

Tried that = way tooo big

Then I used hoversnap screen shot and then opened the file to print.
I was able to reverse then save then print on laser at 63% of orginal (not perfect but dam close).
gots to be a better way or just resort to printing on inkjet in mirror then scan then print on laser.

There has to be an easier way to print a mirror image in express pcb program.
The method I have been using is print on inkjet in mirror under printer preferences.
then scan then print on hp laserjet 1320 (have yet to see any option to print mirror)
and yes I have tried Eagle = learning curve etc tooo steep. The expresspcb prg works great, except this mirror printing feature.
all my circuits are in express pcb anyway

After giving a print order of the, top layer, select PDF creator instead of the laser printer. This would save as .pdf file. Now while printing the file, you can configure the printer for image printing. a copy of mirrorerd pdf created from the normal pdf is attached for the the top layer of sample board of express pcb.
However the bottom layer doesn't need any mirroring as it is shown mirrored already.
Any management using photo editors might reduce the resolution.

Attachments

• xpresstopr.pdf
    37.6 KB · Views: 921
Last edited:
Where is PDF creator?

Its not in express pcb
In my printer setup I have the hp inkjet, laser1320, windows XPS document writer then a quicken PDF printer which requirs to purchase from supplier

Hi,

I use a program called CutePDF writer. It is a freeware. You install it as a printer and use it to print directly into a PDF file instead of a printer. You can then print this PDF file on any printer of your choice as any other PDF file.

On the advance section of the properties, under Postcript, you have the choice of making a mirror image. I just tested it and it work very well.

If you use any PDF file to print your desing, for toner transfer for instance, be sure not to leave "adjust to the zone of impression" in the scaling option. Select "No scaling". The wording may be a bit different, my copy is in french and I just translate from my copy at my best.

Alain

Attachments

• top_copper.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 553
  • top_copper_mirror.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
I installed the 995 pdf prg

Bit find no reference to printing a mirror image.
am I missing something?
going to try the cutepdf.

still no mirror feature?

all I see are rotate clockwise and counterclockwise
no mirror so I can't get the laser to print mirror??
missing something? for sure

got it to print mirror but

its not the right size - toooo small
I have it on no scaling and landscape.
something else??

its not the right size - toooo small
I have it on no scaling and landscape.
something else??
try to follow the procedure below. i am able to get the mirrored output.

Start- printers&faxs--pdf995- press"printer"-- printing preferences--"advanced" at the bottom--post script options-- mirrored output-- toggle to "yes"--- OK-- Ok- and close all

now you may set PDF995 as default

If the drawing is to be used with the toner transfer method then just draw your circuit on the top layer. No mirroring will be needed. That is what I do using FreePCB and I suppose it would be the same in expresspcb.

On post #8 I wrote: "On the advance section of the properties, under Postcript, you have the choice of making a mirror image. "

Well, this is not always true. Your laser printer need to have the postcript option for this to be true. Sorry!

Last edited:
The reason you cant print in mirror image with pcbexpress is they dont want you to be able to use their program to make your own pcb. If you cant print a mirror image, you can't print the layer you want so it will come out right on the pcb so you have to use their service to get your PCB. The thing they dont understand is nobody in their right mind is going to pay good money for a pcb until they know it is without flaws. It's really stupid on their part because their program is really nice other than that.

No chance to "export as..." that would allow further treatment by other graphic software?

Not used for PCB in my case but Corel Draw, I think it is old version 11? crash when asked export as .pdf but then I use the print .pdf using Acrobat.

With this kind of acrobatics I found ways to go from many different formats to others. Basically as I say in Spanish (Es más paciencia que ciencia). Patience more than science.

you can get around the mirror issue but accuracy is ok but not exact. You use a program like infaview or even paint then do a mirror.
If you really want a nice two sided board for DIY pcb then use Diptrace then use a laser printer to print out your pattern.
NOT for the faint of heart for a double sided board.
IF you schematic is simple I will be happy to design a board for you.

Yes IRFANVIEW
JonSea is the one who told me about it. A very easy but powerful program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back