Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Expresspcb design in eagle file format

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I have an ExpressPCB board designed but for the file needs to be something other than express pcb.
Eagle files are one that is mentioned.
Relative simple board single sided.

Attachments

• critter auto6_17_10.PNG
    critter auto6_17_10.PNG
    32.7 KB · Views: 518
MrDEB,

If I were home, I could give you a hand. But I'm 500 miles away, with just my laptop, without Orcad loaded on it and won't be back home until Oct. I looked at the site and they are inexpensive, but I don't know about the turn time...I'm impatient, and just couldn't wait 4 weeks myself. :(

Does not Eagle have an "Eagle Lite" or some such as a free download? Perhaps that might work for you if they do. Good luck with your project, and let us know how that board house works for you.

Cheers,
Merv

I understand the board house does nice work as another website has a PIC developement board done by this company wuth great results.
As for Eagle, I tried it out but a steep learning curve.

I understand the board house does nice work as another website has a PIC developement board done by this company wuth great results.
As for Eagle, I tried it out but a steep learning curve.
I am quite sure you can learn eagle if you give it another try, have some patients, use the tutorials. and ask questions here.

I also suggest going through the tutorials and just get the learning over with. The whole reason for the ExpressPCB software is to lock you into the manufacturer, which is fine if that's all you want. This is a good project to start with as well.

There are a number of us who would be pleased to make a quick Eagle layout for you. If you take a screen shot of your ExpressPCB layout we can get an idea of what you're expecting.

screen shot of sch and pcb

Here is a screen shot of the schematic and a prelim board layout.
The board does not have the photo transistor or the PIR circuit.
I had an after thought of have a duel purpose board for both apps One battery powered and one automotive electrical powered.
the photo transistor itself will be off board but jumper points to connect.
The PIR sensor is off board but a 3 pin header is needed.
board size as small as possable. The TO-220 transiostors could be layed down for better height clearance. Standing up I have only 1 inch height which adds to enclosure cost.
at present the enclosure is 6"L x 4"W depth of tweeter is 2" so the thinner the PCB layout is the better unless the PCBoard is mounted on the inside of the enclosure (board then needs to be 2 inches wide and up to 5 1/2 inches long.

Attachments

• auto pcb.PNG
    auto pcb.PNG
    38 KB · Views: 306
  • critter auto garden6_18_10.PNG
    critter auto garden6_18_10.PNG
    71.6 KB · Views: 308
It's been a busy weekend, I've done the schematic except for the capacitors and connectors. (I was waiting to see what size parts you wanted). I assume that everything on your board is the size that you intend to use. I'll see what I can fit into 2 inches by 5-1/2. (Actually my max length will be 100mm because I'm using the noncommercial Eagle.) So I will try for single sided 2" x 4" maximum.

Starting to label parts, choose sizes, and work with your layout, I'm having big problems.

Board has rearranged numbers for Q1, 2, 3, 4 making it totally confusing. Add to that, all of the pins on your TIP32s are swapped (EBC should be BCE). Collector is always center on TO-220 package BJT's! There are two Q1's, two Q3's, two R12's

I'll give it more time when you've added those new features you mentioned and cleaned up the schematic a bit.

Last edited:
I accidently transgressed the wrong schematic that had /has lots of errors.
Will correct and in the mean time will fast track learning Eagle.
I compared prices per square inch between Exprepcb and Batchpcb.
can get express pcb cheaper BUT no siolkscreen or solder mask. Only $10-20 cheaper depending on quantity.

this should be correct

I added options so board can serve double duty.
Downloaded Eagle and started hacking at it ????
found some enclosures that are bigger and cheaper -- electrical junction boxes.
getting a 4x4x6 polycarbonate box with weather proof cover $11.93

Attachments

• critter combo6_21_10.PNG
    critter combo6_21_10.PNG
    37.9 KB · Views: 277
  • crittercombo6_21_10.PNG
    crittercombo6_21_10.PNG
    52.7 KB · Views: 329
"Q1" and "Q2" (on the board) still have the collector on the wrong pin. The collector is the center pin on TO-220 (the tab).

I didn't check anything else.

I checked the schematic and componet files and all is good?
I rechecked the board and I had the pins switched BEFORE but think the last post is correct??
Q1 and Q2 collectors are connected together data sheet says pins =1= B, 2, 2=C, 3=E
on my pcb layout they, (pretty sure??) are correct??

smaller board

I reinserted the Q1 & Q2 componets. Maybe something I am missing??
here is a tighter board design 3.6 x 2.8 inches
If I went double sided could be smaller (less cost)

Attachments

• combo2.PNG
    combo2.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 205
I don't know where I got the last schematic?

I have so many revisions that I started adding dates on the files
Here is the schematic I used for the last posted board.
Again if you can reduce the size by going 2x board then the cost per sq inch would be less
Using the Express pcb board house, I can get 4 boards w/o silk screen or solder mask(40.32 sq inches for $95
BUT using batch pcb same board design at $2.50 per sq inch plus $10 set up w/ silk screen and solder mask for $112
not much difference except silkscreen and solder mask would be nice.
I hope this schematic is correct?

Attachments

• combo revised.PNG
    combo revised.PNG
    34 KB · Views: 192
this might be the thread as the setup fee is only $10 and if you order a bunch of boards the price gets cheaper per board.?

this might be the thread as the setup fee is only $10 and if you order a bunch of boards the price gets cheaper per board.?
Nope. BatchPCB a spinoff of sparkfun is well know and has been around for a while. What I am talking about is provided by a PCB forum/group and there is no setup fee. It is cheaper then BatchPCB but you have to get 3 boards of each type.

EDIT: Found it
https://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order
$5 per sq inch but you get 3 boards for that price so it works out to $5/3 per sq inch. No setup fee and first class postage is included.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back