Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Etch Resistant Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrafus

Aiight, I was looking at getting one of these, and making my own PCB, since I don't particularly feel like putting down $250-$500 that I can't afford to blow right now on a laser printer.

So when I took a good look at a picture of one online, it looked exactly like a sharpie, please, can anyone tell me if a sharpie will work, because I can pick up like 20 of them for about $5, it'd be a whole lot more cost effective.

Oh, and for anyone who isn't in the US, or hasn't been exposed to the wonder that is sharpie, they're just about the sweetest markers ever made, they come in a variety of colors, and are one of the staple tools for vandalism, and teachers.

well basicly you need something that is resistant to water, because the ethcing chemical will be in a solution, os it will ocntain most of it water.
i use permanent alchool markers.....the idea is that they have to be resistant to water. you should try it first....
o, and by the way it is another way to make pcb's if you don't have a laser printer avaiklable. print the pcb to a normal jet printer and then make a copy at a copier machine. the copier uses thermal ink so it will come out from the paper to the pcb if you heat it. but you got to use a paper wich should be like photo paper, because the ink comes out beter.

Yes, a Sanford Sharpie.
I've never used any color but black.
I also use finger nail polish for large areas.
Polish remover, acetone, cleans Sharpie ink also.

Sorry guyz..........but I stand by the uv photo method........ 8)

Aiight, got a package of ultrathin sharpie, but I'll go over the lines a couple of times just to make the tracks thick enough.

I always scrub the board first with scouring powder.
And I always cover up as much space as I can,
the less metal to etch away the less time it spends in the acid,
and less chance it will eat one of your traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back