Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESR Meter Purchase Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman83

I bought a broken LCD TV off eBay for a cheap price. I was hoping what ever problems it had would be visually detectable, but that wasn't the case. I learned(a little) about the ESR property of capacitors, and how it can be measured. So now I am ANXIOUS to purchase an LCR/ESR Meter and I wanted to see if anyone has any advice.
I don't want a DIY meter, though.

I'm looking at the B&K Precision 879B; looks like I can get it for $300 (USD). The price does seem high(not for LCR meters, though), but I only see this as an investment because it is a tool. So the cost is not too much of a concern, as long as I can get a meter for ≤$400. I also hear many people say that, overall, LCR/ESR meters are worth their weight in gold. (Of course that may not be true now, since the value of gold is so high :rolleyes:)
I also noticed the B&K 881. About $100 cheaper than the 879B, but appears to have far fewer capabilities. I would prefer a numeric display versus a LED bar graph anyways.

So, does anyone have any opinions on this B&K meter or suggestions for other meters around the same price range? I usually don't get overly excited about making a new purchase, but in this case, I can't stop squirming around!!!! I feel like a junkie looking for a fix!!! (not that I would know). I'm probably going to buy one in the next 7 days, so ADVICE is greatly appreciated.

I do not have a great knowledge of electronics, yet. So, if I bought the 879B, I realize I would probably only utilize a small portion of it's capabilities; but, I don't really care. I'll always be learning more, so it would become more useful to me as time goes by.

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Side Note:
I notice Agilent Technologies model U1733C appears to have an almost identical housing as the B&K 879B. I've seen meters on the 'Net that look exactly like the B&K 881, but with a different company name. Why is that? I would guess that B&K and Agilent make their own custom housings for their products, so I wouldn't expect to see so many identical ones out there. This confuses me....:confused:

Those all seem stupidly expensive, here's the one I use at work - it's absolutely excellent, and cheap as well.

https://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr60.html

If you want an LCR meter, they do those as well.

WOW...U.K.

£81.95 inc VAT. That's about R 1000.00+ more here.

That is a LOT of money for us mere mortals. Luckily, Electrolytic's most times show signs of aging or wear and tear just by looking at their outside plastic covering ....lots of shrinkage and so on. Or, obviously, swelled tops on suspected caps. Or just experience and gut feeling.....

Heck, I would love to own a proper ESR meter. I have owned a little cheap but useful Chinese "cap tester" for the last 15 Years. Normally it always tells the truth, like my YEW. Where this cap tester ALWAYS fails though (and I don't condemn it for that because I am aware of it), is in testing East/West Bipolar electrolytics on CRT TV's.

This little tester gets it wrong every time. Standard procedure for me now after literally hundreds of these sets successfully repaired is to simply build a Bipolar Electrolytic from two back to back 10MF 100V regular Electrolytic's giving a 5MF 200V rating on a stressed area of the set.

Since I started this "mod", not ONE of these has ever returned for East/West problems.

5 Years and counting. Not too shabby ;)

If I may just add this: The basics are so important. Just had to say this. Basics ,basics, basics.

IMHO , the new people that ask questions here want simple advise. We THINK we are clever. They don't want cleverness. Just reliable, simple advise.

Kind regards,
tv tech

Last edited:
I'm quite intrigued by your bipolar capacitor failures, I don't recall ever seeing any used (never mind failing) in European sets?.

Are they in some specific South African only models?.

I have actually repaired ONE South African TV, a 21 inch Sony model which someone brought back with them. While it was based on a fairly standard Sony chassis, is was rather bizarre having FM radio added, apparently for stereo TV sound?.

Nigel, I came across that exact "atlas ESR" meter. It says the battery is fitted(soldered I think) to the board. My concern is that I will have a difficult time finding a suitable replacement battery and I'm not sure if that housing can be opened up without breaking it. If I end up having to buy a 2nd atlas meter(b/c dead battery) in a couple years, that would be the same cost as buying the B&K model I mentioned. I want to make sure whatever I choose to purchase will last me ~10 years.

Taken from the user manual link on the site Nigel posted;

"Battery types: Suitable battery types include 23A, V23A, GP23A, MN21 or a
good quality 12V alkaline equivalent as used in many test instruments and
automotive remote key fobs.

Battery access: To replace the battery, unscrew the three screws to remove the
rear panel. Remove the old battery and insert a new one, taking care to observe
the correct polarity. Carefully replace the rear panel, do not over-tighten the
screws."

I'm quite intrigued by your bipolar capacitor failures, I don't recall ever seeing any used (never mind failing) in European sets?.

I have actually repaired ONE South African TV, a 21 inch Sony model which someone brought back with them. While it was based on a fairly standard Sony chassis, is was rather bizarre having FM radio added, apparently for stereo TV sound?.

Huh...LOL...I was still busy posting/correcting my post when I saw this post ;)

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:

Now I am really lost. Huh.

The TV's I am referring to are the last that Atlantis Tedelex/Sansui 74 CM+ that were built in South Africa. Basically the only faults these sets would ever develop over time were EAST/WEST problems. There were some that had line driver transformer supply smoothing issues which they sorted out.

These sets use utilize genuine THOMPSON tubes. Not fake junk.

And now??

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:

This is funny. Yes, Atlantis made some Simulcast sets way back for both Sony and Tedelex....nightmare sets to fix when they had sound probllems...

Hard to fix as they were essentially modified chassis...brings back memories from waaay back.

Cheers,
tvtech

Last edited:
Last edited:
HouseOFwax, thanks for doing the work for me, lol. Sometimes I forget that I should read first, then ask questions. :eek:

Thanks for the ESR60 picture, Pfofit; much easier to see the board and battery.

I've decided to get the ESR70, from Atlas. Gonna place the order after this.

Thanks, everyone, for all the input. :D

* Update:
Item was ordered and should arrive in about 4 days. (That's about 3 days more than I want to wait!)

Last edited:
Nigel, I came across that exact "atlas ESR" meter. It says the battery is fitted(soldered I think) to the board.

As you've already found out, and I can confirm 100%, the battery is easily replaced - it simply clips in to place.

The batteries themselves are easily found, it's a common type used in keyfobs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back