Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Esd

Status
Not open for further replies.

e44-72

Hello

I don't understand why if you touch a static sensistive chip such as cmos it damages it. Say I had a static charge of 50 volts, if I touch the chip it too would become the potiential of 50 volts, why would there be any current flow if the chip is no connected to ground.

Thank you for reading

The problem with ESD discharge is we maybe talking of 50,000+ volts and not 50. As you pick up an IC by the pins, there is most likely a potential difference momentarily and that's enough to puncture the several nanometer (uncited, but it's pretty thin) thick insulated (before you picked it up!!!) CMOS gate.

Thank you for your reply, so say I pick the ic up by the body so its off a surface then put my hands of the pins, is there a discharge then or is their not and would that cause esd damage.

Last edited:
Never touch the pins. Push into a piece of tin foil to equal all the pins or an anti-static bag where yes, all maybe at 50,000 volts but the potential diff will be close to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back