Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Equivilant transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle3MTA3

Hi all,
I am trying to fix some function generators at my school and think I have traced the problem to a pair of 2N2219A transistors. They seem to be burnt out even though they have heat sinks on them. Since we do not have any round heat sinks like those at my school, but we have a bunch of the u-shaped ones like you'd attach to a TO-220 package, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a transistor I could use that comes is that package?
Thank you

I'd say just replace the transistor for the same one. They are still available, cheap, and I'm sure even if the ones you have are burnt out, they did so after abuse, or years of good service. If you change for the like transistor, you are pretty much assured it will work if that is the issue.

STMICROELECTRONICS|2N2219A|BIPOLAR TRANSISTOR, NPN, 30V, | Newark.com

If you wanted to go above and beyond, you could get a heatsink for those too like:

AAVID THERMALLOY|321527B00000G|Heat Sink | Newark.com

That would certainly extend the life of those transistors if heat was an issue originally, though in a school environment, I'd guess misuse/abuse to be the suspected original issue that killed that generator.

Thanks Robert, but the point is to find something in a different package, so the heat sinks we have can be mounted with ease. My school, like most institutions, is cheap because it wastes money on things it doesn't need, so they would rather not buy more then they need, and we have a whack of heat sinks for the TO-220 type (or similar design with the hole for a screw) packages. I will, however tell them what you said and see what we can do.

You could get some copper tubing of a similar size as the case, and form your own heatsink, then bond it to the transistors using themal conductive epoxy...

I agree with Robert_G. Original replacements are available from Digi-Key, Mouser, Jameco, and maybe Active Components. At least you would not be replacing the heatsinks if you use a different case style. If the school objects to buying these new parts, then its time to partner with a local related business for real world training and opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back