Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

enclosure manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Need a "custom plastic enclosure but finding one that is square seems unlikely until I happened on to Tooless manfacturing
**broken link removed**
Has anybody tried their service??

Unless you are making a good many of something, designing a board to fit in an off-the-self enclosure is usually the best bet.

Need a "custom plastic enclosure but finding one that is square seems unlikely until I happened on to Tooless manfacturing
**broken link removed**

If you have access to ABS Sheet Plastic, You can Easily Fabricate Boxes of any size or Shape, also make them look quite professional. Here is an Example of one I Made.
A.JPG

To Cut the various Pieces to Size, Score it with a Razor Knife and Break it.
Than using MEK or Acetone, you can Glue (Melt) these pieces together.
Also possible to Bend it with a Hot Wire.

How Big of a Box?
You don't say Where you Live, But I can give further help if needed.
Just Email Me

Last edited:
Polycase has a number of square and near square enclosures around 4"×4" - 5"×5".

An alternate is a laser-cut acrylic case, which is nice if you need cutouts for switches and so on.
SmartSelectImage_2018-07-27-14-46-37.png

If you have access to ABS Sheet Plastic, You can Easily Fabricate Boxes of any size or Shape, also make them look quite professional. Here is an Example of one I Made.
View attachment 113932
To Cut the various Pieces to Size, Score it with a Razor Knife and Break it.
Than using MEK or Acetone, you can Glue (Melt) these pieces together.
Also possible to Bend it with a Hot Wire.

How Big of a Box?
You don't say Where you Live, But I can give further help if needed.
Just Email Me
Damm that's one nice looking box great job there.

usually these days, if i'm doing a "one-off" or even a few, i'll 3D print them, but if i need more than that i'll either make the board fit in a commercial one or find a company that makes them at low cost. i've been a regular attendee of the annual AMCON (American Contract manufacturing) expo in Denver for the last 10 years. there's a lot of companies that will do small or large orders for reasonably low cost. if you already have STL files of the box you want, the tooling and startup costs will be a lot lower.

**broken link removed**

If you give me the Dimensions and Necessary Details, I could probably make you one and Mail it to You.
NO CHARGE, EXCEPT FOR THE SHIPPING COST.

That is a really nice enclosure there Chemelec.
I inquired about having one made and yes it is expensive for a one off prototype. Seeing your enclosure and doing some research I am going to try my hand at making one from Lexan sheet I have but may be too thick?
One issue I found is the depth of the enclosure is only 20mm. most off the shelf enclosures are deeper or not square. The enclosure MUST be square.
I have a sketchup drawing but it dosen't print exactly the right size and still trying to get the battery opening cut out where it needs to be.
The enclosure is really a simple design 110mm x 110mm x 20mm deep. 90mm cutout on top and 50mm x 60mm cut out on bottom. Plan to use adhesive to secure board to enclosure.
I might take you up on your offer Chemelec after I try and make an enclosure.

That is a really nice enclosure there Chemelec.
I inquired about having one made and yes it is expensive for a one off prototype. Seeing your enclosure and doing some research I am going to try my hand at making one from Lexan sheet I have but may be too thick?
One issue I found is the depth of the enclosure is only 20mm. most off the shelf enclosures are deeper or not square. The enclosure MUST be square.
I have a sketchup drawing but it dosen't print exactly the right size and still trying to get the battery opening cut out where it needs to be.
The enclosure is really a simple design 110mm x 110mm x 20mm deep. 90mm cutout on top and 50mm x 60mm cut out on bottom. Plan to use adhesive to secure board to enclosure.
I might take you up on your offer Chemelec after I try and make an enclosure.

Where do you Live? USA?
Many countries are a free phone call for me.

The Thinner White ABS Plastic I have is about 2.3mm Thick and some is 2.5mm thick.

Here is a Picture of the Back Side, With the Back Removed.
The Decal on the front was Reverse Printed on Transparency Film, so the lettering Can't Rub Off.
This was just made for my Home Use, Not ment to be FANCY, But Reasonable Looking.
0-0-8787.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to Design Spark. Looks almost like Sketchup but a few more bells n whistles. Will run it and give it a go.
I live in Washington state USA

Here is another case I made, but never finished off.
One End Sanded and wiped with MEK to seal it, but cracks could also be filled a bit.
0490a.JPG
0491a.JPG
0492a.JPG
Other End Not Finished.
And a Rear View.

We made stuff like that in high school But never a whole box 3 side or L shapes.
Nice work tho I wish I didn't live in apartment I'd try to make one.

We made stuff like that in high school But never a whole box 3 side or L shapes.
Nice work tho I wish I didn't live in apartment I'd try to make one.

Apartments are no fun.
But you probably could do boxes, just not so easy with hot wire bending like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back