Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

email hasstle

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
It would be great to know what email provider and email client other ETO members use.

I have always used Microsoft Outlook email client with various email providers: Demon, O2, and for the past few years gmail (Google).

Outlook is great to use but a nightmare to configure and it has always been highly bloated- over the years it has got worse.

The crunch came with the move from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2013 which is a complete nightmare in all respects- even the contacts section is impossible to use. And would you belive it, Outlook 2013 and 2016 do not work with gmail IMAP.

It has got to the stage now where I can't use the laptop email using Outlook, but have to rely on my mobile phone email.

spec

Last edited:
I use Thunderbird as well.

My primary email is AOL (yes, I still use AOL). I have multiple other addresses though, I have several Gmail accounts and I use Outlook 2013 at work.

I have 4 aol email addresses, one that Comcast gave me and an old Bell South account. I use an old laptop with XP and Outlook Express for emails. When I open Outlook Express, it checks all of those accounts without having to enter passwords or sign in & out. When I am writing emails, even with pictures, I use Microsoft Word 2000. I just hit the email icon, choose recipient and it is gone.

I tried to set up Outlook online and a couple others but couldn't find one that easy.

Thanks everyone- much appreciated.

I think I will have a good look at Thunderbird.

I am being lazy here, but does Thunderbird handle contacts and an address book OK?

spec

I used to use Outlook express, but not got an email client on win7 , so use the ISP web service , am I a bad lad ?

Just installed Thunderbird. Looks very good form first impressions. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike.

There supposed to be a lot of plugins for Thunderbird too. I have never tried any of the plugins though.

I have been using Thunderbird for more than 10Years. My wife was a long time Outlook user (from her employer). When we migrated from WinXP to Win 7 on multiple computers, she lost Outlook. Her migration from Outlook (mail archives and address books) was seamless. Now, a few months later, she agrees that TBird is better...

I just took Thunderbird for a spin- so far so good.

Many thanks again for all the advice.

But Thunderbird will not import information from Outlook 2013- I know it can be done but can't remember how (the Thunderbird import function does not work with Outlook 2013).

spec

Last edited:
Try this Spec.

Try this Spec.
Thanks MB- afraid that does not work on later versions of TBird. In the list of what to import Outlook is greyed out.

I think you have to convert the Outlook PST, OST files (or whatever) to a common format that TBird can read.

spec

Just in case anybody else needs to import from Outlook here is the procedure:

Importing to Thunderbird from Outlook

**broken link removed**

The normal Thunderbird import process requires that you have Outlook installed on your computer. If you do not have them installed, there are alternatives as noted below.

To use Thunderbird's import wizard, you must use an older version of Thunderbird, because the wizard is disabled for Outlook in Thunderbird version 38 and newer versions. Install version 31.8, import your data, then upgrade to the latest version of Thunderbird via the built-in **broken link removed**.

An alternative to Thunderbird's import wizard is to find a tool to transform your data to mbox format (.mbx), and then use Import Export Tools add-on in Thunderbird to import the mbox files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back