Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Outlook Express Will Not Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomasagren

I have a user that uses Outlook Express 6 for their email client. This user has told me that when they open Outlook Express it just hangs at the splash screen and never opens. I found that the size of her inbox for Outlook Express is 2 Gigabytes. Now I know Outlook Express files have a limitation size of 2 Gigabytes and then you can't open the file. Does the same go for Outlook Express? If so, how can I go about retrieving her emails from the inbox.dbx file.

You may be able to install another email program (For example Thunderbird.) and import the files from outlook express.

Les.

OE crawls with more than a few hundred emails per folder or db file and has the same size limit.

You can try what Les suggested or back up the db file and rename it to something like Backup2 in the same "hidden" folder and teach this person to purge the sent and inbox and dleted folders below 100 files but not delete from server, but performance will suffer everytime a sync operation is done on startup.

They can also use the online webmail to fetch mail as a backup which can be configured to use any IMAP or POP server.

OE is a very lite mail client, never intended for 2GB of storage or over hundreds of emails per folder. Creating new folders can make this run faster and use sort, drag N drop or delete as it is a very inefficient database compared to Outlook.

Follow these actions to get your corrupted info back:

1. Re-create your mail folder hierarchy by dragging folders into place in the Folder list. Note that any folder you have created to group sub-folders but that does not itself contain messages will not appear in the Folder list and so must be created again.

2. Re-download the list of newsgroups from each news account.

3. Reset your subscribed newsgroups and download messages again.

4. Reset synchronization options on IMAP and newsgroup folders.

5. Edit any message rule that moves or copies messages to folders other than the Inbox.

Much more info can be found and must be effective to get back .DBX file…

http://www.filerepairforum.com/foru...4-outlook-express-messages-corrupted-by-virus - unity of users, where discussing problems about OE data corruption

**broken link removed** - similar issue, which might be helpful to you

http://outlookexpress.recoverytoolbox.com/ Recovery Toolbox for Outlook Express - one of the solutions, which can recover .dbx files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back