Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electroseismic "thumping" for low permeability in subsoils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without knowing the exact details of the test environment, and we do not know the mains supply frequency or voltage as we do not know where the testing is being carried out, I suspect that the source of the 60Hz interference is the mains supply to the scope and the scope itself. Can you specify what the mains supply is?

If possible it may be best to power the scope with a DC supply. A twisted and screened mains supply cables would be another option.

spec

this process is being used commercially right now.
For sensing water at what depth?
If we assume a mean sound speed of 5000ft/sec in near-surface soil/rock strata, then the P-wave would reach 100ft depth in only 20mS. The active period (including any reverberation) of your seismic source is likely to be longer than this, so your wanted received signal will arrive while the transmitted signal is still active. That unfortunately is going to complicate the filtering (unless you use a single-frequency source), as would the reception of signals via the direct surface path between transmitter and receiver. You've certainly given yourself a challenge!

I think before we change directions or methods, I might like to at least try filtering and amping the signal to search for a response. Can anyone recommend some economical solutions for this? I agree that if I can kill the 60hz and its harmonic noise, that should help a lot. A quality low noise amp will be needed I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back