Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics Project HELP! Connecting LED to solar cell and small dynamo motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I would like to do a project where I connect a small LED to solar cell and dynamo motor as two circuits connected by a SPDT switch, so I can power the light with the power source of my choosing. I don't really know much about circuits or where to start. Like where does voltage and current and resistance play part and what should I know about it for a project like this? How does I connect the LED to wires or the switch? Positive to negative? I am sure some one here can help me and I hope a project like this is simple for you. Also can you explain to me the materials I'd need for a project like this? Thanks and feel free to ask more questions! Any help is greatly appreciated!

You need to learn about simple electricity involving an LED that has a certain forward voltage range and requiring a certain current, a solar cell, a generator, their output voltage and current ranges from them and resistance.

I like the way you think. You have an idea for a neet project. You want to combine a solar cell with a dyanmo to power an L. E. D. Via a SPDT switch. You do know where to start! (Because you are at the beginning of your project)and you do know much about circuits ( Because you said it yourself TWO CIRCUITS),& YOU WILL SEE FIRSTHAND HOW VOLTAGE, CURRENT AND RESISTANCE PLAY A PART.
By the way I am not yelling. Your inthuseasem is contagious. Materials you will need you have already mentioned get the cheapest stuff you can or whatever is it laying around. I used to go dumpster diving behind electronic stores that was waaay back when they're made out of brick and mortar.

what the heck is a SPDT??
Single Pole, Double Throw.

As in, a changeover switch with a common terminal and two "on" contacts, selected by the switch direction.

A simple two-terminal on/off is a SPST - Single pole, Single throw.

The number of poles is the number of banks of contacts that are operated by the switch mechanism.
Single, Double, 3, 4, or whatever.
eg. This is a four-pole double throw - 4PDT:

At the top of the schematic on this page there is a solar cell and a dynamo, the section labelled 'power core' could be your led, disregard the rest of the circuit.
This way whichever is generating the highest voltage will automatically power the Led, with just 2 diodes, no switch.

I was making a joke guys you know a funny. Given the content of what I was responding to I thought he could use some encouragement and a little levity.

Kind of like this kind of funny
This is funny.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back