Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic/hardware Engineer opportunities in London (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muc147

Hello everyone,

I from germany, but currently living in Paris (France) and I wanted to move to London (UK) as electronic/hardware engineer. I wanted to have information about electronic jobs and salaries.
I have a Bsc (3years) in electronic engineer from the university of Munich (Germany), and a Msc in electronic engineer (2 years) in Analog integrated circuit from a university in Paris (France). I have so 5 years of studies in university.

I worked 2 years for Siemens in Germany for railways
-1 year as test engineer where I wrote procedures and doing test on PCB
-1 year as electronic developper where I made justification calculation (worst case analysis), design circuit....

I worked 1 year in Paris in Aeronautic industry
As electronic designer where I made justification calculation (worst case analysis), design circuit, Schematics with Cadence, simulation with LTSpice....

For London, I read that the need for electronics job opportunities is high, but not as much as other engineering area. Is that true?
For London, I read that the average of a postgraduated (Msc in electronic engineering) is 33k£-35k£ per year. Is that true? I find that this salary is low, because it's less than the salary in german small cities, where London is a very big city and life cost is really higher.
How much do you think I can have as salary with my diplomas and my experience? Is a postgraduated is in the range of 33k£-35£, I thought about 45k£-50k£

Thank you for all of your informations and answers.

Best Regards

Hello everyone,

I from germany, but currently living in Paris (France) and I wanted to move to London (UK) as electronic/hardware engineer. I wanted to have information about electronic jobs and salaries.
I have a Bsc (3years) in electronic engineer from the university of Munich (Germany), and a Msc in electronic engineer (2 years) in Analog integrated circuit from a university in Paris (France). I have so 5 years of studies in university.

I worked 2 years for Siemens in Germany for railways
-1 year as test engineer where I wrote procedures and doing test on PCB
-1 year as electronic developper where I made justification calculation (worst case analysis), design circuit....

I worked 1 year in Paris in Aeronautic industry
As electronic designer where I made justification calculation (worst case analysis), design circuit, Schematics with Cadence, simulation with LTSpice....

For London, I read that the need for electronics job opportunities is high, but not as much as other engineering area. Is that true?
For London, I read that the average of a postgraduated (Msc in electronic engineering) is 33k£-35k£ per year. Is that true? I find that this salary is low, because it's less than the salary in german small cities, where London is a very big city and life cost is really higher.
How much do you think I can have as salary with my diplomas and my experience? Is a postgraduated is in the range of 33k£-35£, I thought about 45k£-50k£

Thank you for all of your informations and answers.

Best Regards

I assumed Enginers were problem solvers and knew how to investigate to understand situations and take action.

Hint for your questions, make a list of the top 10 British companies that design and sell electronic devices.

For each electronic design / developer there will be several "non design" engineers.. As hard as it is the Bsc and Msc account for possibly 50% of whats required... Companies firstly promote internally, so the 45 ~ 50k will be engineers with 10+ years experience.

Joining a company at component level and progressing up is a challenge.. Not what degree students want to hear. These companies have systems in place and new employee's have to adjust..

There are places where a design engineer is required from the off, but a decent portfolio will be required...

33~ 35k seems high for a first job... Up north you'll be lucky to get 28k with your first post..

To maximise your skills, then the aeronautic industry is the place... Unfortunately due to recent events.. This industry was hit hard...

That's sad. In the US, you can expect 65 to 75k USD for an entry level job for a graduate from a well known school with a good reputation. On the other hand, US students have to pay $25 to 35k /year tuition at those schools. Graduates from Elite schools can expect to pay more (up to $65k/year) but they can get up to $100k as a start.

Note that $100k is a pretty common start for a chemical engineer from most well-known schools.

Thank you for all your answers.

Your answers are in the way I was expecting. I'm not talking about only components level. I'm talking talking about electronic design that we find in automotive, medical devices, space, energy stuffs....
That's also not my 1st job, but my 3rd.

28k£ = 30.9k€, 33k£ = 36.4k€ that's less than a beginner in very small cities in France or in Germany. That's surprising me!!

About US, I read also almost same thing (75k$ - 80k$), but yes, the tuition is more expensive.
Electronic is not the good way for money compare to others engineering way.

Thank you for your answers and comment

I was chatting to an ex colleague who has been looking for work as an engineer in the UK. He had applied for a position which would normally attract 30 applicants. This time it attracted 10,000 applicants.

Our parent company is currently making 7500 people redundant. We're losing 30 in our subsidiary (15% of the workforce). This time last year there were an abundance of engineering jobs in the UK, currently things are looking a little bleaker this year.

I was chatting to an ex colleague who has been looking for work as an engineer in the UK. He had applied for a position which would normally attract 30 applicants. This time it attracted 10,000 applicants.

Our parent company is currently making 7500 people redundant. We're losing 30 in our subsidiary (15% of the workforce). This time last year there were an abundance of engineering jobs in the UK, currently things are looking a little bleaker this year.
With all that efficiency of removing redundancy, it is easy to understand why all the stock markets are going up. And besides, all of those unemployed people will have more time to shop and buy more stuff so the corporations can sell more stuff and make more money! So many great things are happening!

That's sad. In the US, you can expect 65 to 75k USD for an entry level job for a graduate from a well known school with a good reputation. On the other hand, US students have to pay $25 to 35k /year tuition at those schools. Graduates from Elite schools can expect to pay more (up to $65k/year) but they can get up to $100k as a start.

Note that $100k is a pretty common start for a chemical engineer from most well-known schools.
Check salaries in Czech Republic... Thats sad. BTW i am not living in africa - THAT WILL BE ACTUALLY SAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back