Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electronics is such a big subject that it’s quite difficult to list down websites. Also you will not find everything on one website. But there is nothing that you can’t find on internet. You need to go topic by topic and use search engines to find site best suitable for your purpose. Initially you might need to go through lots of websites but after that you can find links to related subjects on same pages. Use bookmarks they help a lot :)

Good Luck.

Just a caution - while you can find "anything" on the internet, much of the good knowledge and data is bound physically in books or other paper publications or electronically and is not open to anyone other than a subscriber. A subscriber might be someone who pays for the priviledge or is given that by virtue of a membership to a library or university. One can't argue that the internet will help you find the book. There is a whole other body of knowledge that has a very limited access - that is usually held by companies or research organisations. They keep the access to that knowledge limited for various reasons.

Your best tools are Google and a good bookmark organization. And backup those bookmarks from time to time. I'm serious. It's all there somewhere, and Google will find it.

Here's a little something to get you started : **broken link removed** has a sticky thread about **broken link removed**. There are several good docs worth downloading, and I make sure to visit from time to time and check for any addition to the thread. You might have to register to see the previous link though...

I tend to agree with both sides of this. I would agree that you can find a massive amount of Electronics information on the net via google and other search engines, but I also agree with Steve in as much as the best (and most to be relied on) information is found within proper documents which you must pay for.

As an example, I've taken some interest in programming the motorola 68000 series of CPUs. Now, if I type some relevant information into google I get a search result which returns a mass of useful information relating to the 68000, it's architecture, programming techinques and interfacing techniques. However, despite all this highly relevant and highly useful information available to me on the internet, I've failed to find one freely available document which ties together all of these aspects of 68000 programming. A lot of the information is there to be found, but it's largely scattered amoungst different documents on different websites on different servers across the globe.

I've recently purchased a hard-back book which can only be described as THE bible for 68000-series CPU information. It was quite expensive (about £30) but the information contained within it is extensive. The book starts at the beginning assuming little prior knowledge of assembly programming and leads the reader all the way through to in-depth knowledge of the CPUs architecture and complex programming techniques.

So in short, although a mass of information is available on the web, it's not always tied together neatly. Infact it's more than often dispersed across tens of different webpages and even if you take the time to fetch all the relevant information, because they are each different documents there's not a proper flow from one subject line to another. Also, the information fetched from websites on the internet is a mixture of documents published by professional engineers and documents published by hobbyists or amateurs interested in the subject. It's not always clear what sort of experience the author of the documents has and as such, you're not always able to completely trust the information 100%.

Personally I use the internet for "information fetching" quite a lot, but usually it's in addition to other resources or knowledge that I already have. For a reliable source of information I still very much prefer to purchase proper books or documents.

Brian

Internet or books ?

ThermalRunaway said:
... the best (and most to be relied on) information is found within proper documents which you must pay for.
Absolutely :!:

I have looked at a fair number of circuit diagrams on the internet and found glaring errors in them.
I downloaded some PIC microcontroller code and spent as long debugging as I might have done writing from scratch.
In short I think the internet's biggest advantage is also its greatest weakness -- anybody can publish anything, I guess you get what you pay for :?

Re: Internet or books ?

mechie said:
In short I think the internet's biggest advantage is also its greatest weakness -- anybody can publish anything, I guess you get what you pay for :?

Agreed. But I think the weakness is in the person accessing the information believe or accept them completely without(or does not have the ability to) proper thinking or scrutiny.

It just like any information in the media or press. Most people believe anything in black and white must be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back