Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnet Door Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminded me of a Project I built many years ago, took me some time but I found it,

**broken link removed**

I did exactly as was described, I found a 1,500 Watt transformer and cut it down to a E Plate setup.

Made on heck of a great electromagnet!

The Blue wire was from my experiments with Saturable core Reactors.

JimB should have added "If you're lucky". Be aware that better quality transformers often have their laminations vacuum-impregnated with lacquer, which effectively welds them into a single block.:(

That is very true!

If the transformer has been vacuum-impregnated, either find another one, or...

... get medieval !!

JimB

thanks for reply.

vacuum-impregnated?

does it mean that i really cant make it an E shaped?

if i would to find and E w/ I shaped Lamination, how large would that be to pull about 250lbs?

does the 5amp size transformer is enough?

or i need about 1500 watt transformer like the one DJDAudio posted?

Vacuum impregnated means the laquer is drawn into the spaces. They are removeable. You just have to hit them harder.

E-shapes means you just use the E sides and not the I sides. I have seen some transfomers where all the E's were together and all of the I's were together and they were not interleaved. They were usually smaller transformers.

Looking at a commercial adapter, I;d say they were about 4" x 8" or so. Make judgements from there.

Can't answer the other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back