Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnet Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the flywheel diode went across the mosfet, not the inductor. The intrinsic diode in the mosfet many times is of an uncertain value, since it is just an artifact of the mosfet manufacturing process.

I can't see why you wouldn't want to have a freewheeling diode on an inductor being powered by anything unless it's for the purpose of producing a voltage spike on purpose which with mosfets large uncontrolled voltage spikes from a inductor being switched off are the last thing you want to expose them to.

On an DC powered electromagnet a freewheeling diode with an optional series resistance is very necessary otherwise severe damage to the switching device be it solid state or mechanical is pretty much guaranteed.

Thanks for the comments on this as I thought it was interesting.
I just found this as well & they mention the same thing, be good to get some comments on this?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back