Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrical noise of carbon film resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been told that carbon film resistors are electrically noisy. I'd like some clarification of what that means.

1. Does it mean that the resistance of the resistor changes over time when a current is applied to it?

2. Does the resistance of the resistor nevertheless stay within the rated tolerance?

3. Do metal film resistors have the same issue?

Richard

**broken link removed**

U = R.i + noise(i,v,t)

Resistor composition determines what is in "noise".

A perfect resistor will have only thermal noise (which you cannot eliminate), real resistors will have more noise due to materials used, etc.

1. The resistance is not affected. It's just the random noise that can be higher than the theoretical thermal (Johnson) noise for the resistance value.

2. It stays within the rated tolerance.

3. Metal film resistors generally have a noise value close to the theoretical thermal value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back