Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrical engineer student, needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pbandj,
1 amp = 1 coulomb/1 sec =====> 1 sec = 1 coulomb/1 amp ====> 60 coulomb/0.5 amps = 120 coulomb/amps = 120 secs
Ratch

so basically what your doing is taking the 500mA and multiplaying it by 10E-3 because thats what mili is in the power of 10 and then you divide 60 by .5?

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:

Question-It takes 300 Joules of energy to move 31.2E16 electrons past a point in a circuit. What is the applied Voltage?

My answer- 9.36V

What i did was take (31.2E16)(300) to get 9.36 cause OHMS law says to find Voltage you must multiply.

Question- How many electrons are moving past a point in a circuit in 4 seconds if the current is 40nA

my answer- 10 electrons

40 X 10E-9 to get .000000040 divide that by 4 and got 10

pbandj,

so basically what your doing is taking the 500mA and multiplaying it by 10E-3 because thats what mili is in the power of 10 and then you divide 60 by .5?

In this case, no. I took a shortcut and converted 500 ma into 0.5 amps directly. But first I used the definition of an ampere to find t = C/I . That is how I knew to divide 60 by 0.5. Evaluate the formula and write it out first!

so if you ever want to find energy you just simply multiply?

For this problem, a multiplication was necessary. For other problems, maybe not. You have to evaluate the definition and the given quantities to determine what to do.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:

Question-It takes 300 Joules of energy to move 31.2E16 electrons past a point in a circuit. What is the applied Voltage?

My answer- 9.36V

What i did was take (31.2E16)(300) to get 9.36 cause OHMS law says to find Voltage you must multiply.

No, you are not understanding correctly. You cannot just blindly do a arithmetic operation depending on what you want to find. You have to evaluate the problem. That means picking the right definition and applying the correct operations based on the definition.

volts = joules/coulomb ====>(300 joules/31.2E16 electrons)*(6.24151E18 electrons/coulomb) = 6000 joules/coulomb = 6000 volts

Notice that the resistance formula has nothing to do with this problem.

Question- How many electrons are moving past a point in a circuit in 4 seconds if the current is 40nA

my answer- 10 electrons

40 X 10E-9 to get .000000040 divide that by 4 and got 10

As you can see, you are not paying attention to your units or your method of calculation. You should write out your formula based on the appropriate definition and see if it makes sense before you go off half-cocked to do your calculation. coulombs = current*time

(40E-9 coulombs/sec)*4 sec*(6.24151E18 electrons/coulomb) = 9.984E11 electrons

Ratch

So if you don't mind me asking, what are all the different formulas? because when I first started doing this, all I was thinking was OHM's law. If i want to know Voltage current times resistance. if I want current voltage divided by resistance. But it seems like there are many different formulas for finding different things. plus when we do want to find them do we need 6.24151E18 electrons/coulomb to always get our final answer?

So if you don't mind me asking, what are all the different formulas? because when I first started doing this, all I was thinking was OHM's law. If i want to know Voltage current times resistance. if I want current voltage divided by resistance. But it seems like there are many different formulas for finding different things. plus when we do want to find them do we need 6.24151E18 electrons/coulomb to always get our final answer?

Here are a couple of sites with various electrical formulas that may help you:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

These sites provide various different electronics formulas, laws, and theorems that are very useful to any electrical engineer. Hopefully you'll be able to find any formulas you need on these links.
Good luck!
Der Strom

pbandj,

So if you don't mind me asking, what are all the different formulas?

Those formulas describe the laws of physics. In your case, the electrical branch of physics.

If i want to know Voltage current times resistance. if I want current voltage divided by resistance. But it seems like there are many different formulas for finding different things.

You use the resistance formula when voltage, current, or resistance are involved together. Otherwise, you use any of the other appropriate methods and formulas to solve for the desired quantity. For instance, you would not use the resistance formula to directly find coulombs, electrons, time, charge density, or power.

But it seems like there are many different formulas for finding different things.

Yes, the electrical branch of physics is an extensive subject. Have you studied physics? You seem lost, without any idea of what is happening, and seem to solve problems by rote or random calculation. You can find lots of different formulas in a good physics book, but you need to understand better what they mean.

plus when we do want to find them do we need 6.24151E18 electrons/coulomb to always get our final answer?

It depends on whether the charge is expressed in coulombs or electrons.

Ratch

K takes the place of 000. All your doing is moving the decimal point 3 places to the left and replacing the 000 with K. 390000 = 390K

Same thing for M.

M takes the place of 000000. You move the decimal point 6 places to the left and replace the 000000 with M.

If your number does not have 3 or 6 zeros move the decimal point to the left 3 or 6 places then drop all the zeros.

You can say 390000 ohms is 390K or .390M

All this does is make it easier to write on paper and on electrical circuits.

When I was in college certain teachers were better teachers than others. It is always good to get several people to explain things because each person has a different way of explaining it. Books are the same way some authors are not good at explaining things. I had a math book that was almost impossible to understand. I bought a 20 year old math book for $1 it was very easy to understand the author knew how to explain it so I understood it. When the teacher gave us home work I used the class book for to look up the problems and I used the $1 math book to read the instruction how to do the problems. Wow it made life 10 times easier. Another thing I learned in college was, it takes a few weeks to learn how the teacher thinks. Once you understand the teacher it helps you to know what he expects from the students in the homework and the exams.

Last edited:
I learned the sequence of colours in a rainbow long before I saw a resistor. The sequence of colours for resistance is the same.
I had a few teachers who couldn't teach and a few who no speeky zee Engrish. I taught some of my teachers a few things.

I learned the sequence of colours in a rainbow long before I saw a resistor. The sequence of colours for resistance is the same.
I had a few teachers who couldn't teach and a few who no speeky zee Engrish. I taught some of my teachers a few things.

Rainbows must look strange in your world, what with colors like black, brown, gray and white...LOL

I think the Aurora Borealis looks a lot better than a rainbow because it continuously moves like a curtain in the wind.

Attachments

• aurora-borealis.jpg
    aurora-borealis.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 330
I think the Aurora Borealis looks a lot better than a rainbow because it continuously moves like a curtain in the wind.

One "natural wonder" that I doubt I'll get to see in person in my life (unless luck or fate drives me far enough north, I guess)...sigh.

My Canadian city is very close to the US border but I have seen Aurora Borealis here many times.
But your lizards and hotter than hell temperatures are not here.

finding voltage across resistors

well here we go again, find voltage across each resistor in a series circuit.
Vs=80V
R1=5K
R2=10K
R3=15K
R4=10K
My guess: V=IR so first I thought maybe you take the 80v and convert it into .80 and than multiplay all the numbers. so .80 times 5k equals 4000? so if I'm wrong please just tell me I'm wrong and I'll go back and try and figure it out again. Thats why I joined this site so I can double check my work. I know you guys are very very bright on this stuff so I know you guys can figure it out and all its just I really do want to know this stuff. Thanks for all your help!

E for the circuit is 80 volts.

Total R for the circuit is 40K = 40,000. ohms.

LAWs for parallel circuit. Current divides voltage stays the same.

LAWs for series circuit. Current stays the same voltage drops.

80/ 40,000. = .002 amps for the circuit.

R1 is 5K x .002 amps = 10 volts.

See if you can do the rest. Add all 4 voltages across each resistor to double check your math it should = 80 volts.

Last edited:
One quick note....always Draw what you do in circuit...when you simplify stuff draw it when you go back redraw. Don't be afraid to use your pencil for drawing...draw arrow for current direction draw resistor equivalency...etc..!

nevermind figured it out. I only ask because I thought maybe you would get a zero reading if one was shorted but I guess that doesn't make sense!

Last edited:
conductance?

conductance is 1 divide by resistance right? well I have a list of resistors and I have to figure out the conductance. So 500 ohms is 1 divide by 500 I got .002 is it 10^-2? also 20K ohms again is 1divided by 20,000 I got 5 E^-5 so is that just 10^-5?

Hi,

To answer your question, conductance is indeed 1 divided by the resistance value. However, in theory the proper way of doing it is to use the invert operation (I.E. put your resistance ^-1). As for your results, the first one is wrong, the answer is not 10^-2. The numerical value is good tho. The second one is good! However, the complete answer is 5*10^-5. It is not 10^-5 alone.

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back