Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrical Discharge Machining - EDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1845c

Does anyone here have any experiance in electrical discharge machining?

If you don't know what i'm talking about, heres the wiki artical -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_discharge_machining

I have been kinda interested in trying it. Lindsy publications ( **broken link removed** )has a book on how to build a power supply and servo setup, but I was kinda hoping I could find some similar information online for free. No luck yet, but i'm not ready to give up.

Anyone have an information or knowledge of this kind of thing?

Hi Andy,

As you probably already know, EDM can do some pretty unusual machining, like removing a very small broken tap from an expensive piece of machining.

I checked Yahoo groups (search: EDM) and found several EDM groups. One that looked particularly interesting is called: EDMHomeBuilders. Good luck. John

dknguyen said:
I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be built at home?

According to the lindsay publications book, it is, and has been done. I don't know how accurate a home made setup would be, but it would be fun to play with.

jpanhalt said:
As you probably already know, EDM can do some pretty unusual machining, like removing a very small broken tap from an expensive piece of machining.

I checked Yahoo groups (search: EDM) and found several EDM groups. One that looked particularly interesting is called: EDMHomeBuilders. Good luck. John

Thanks John! I'll check those out!

'model engineers workshop' in the uk have run a couple of projects to build spark eroders in the home workshop. if that's no help i'll try and navigate my filing system :eek: and see if i can locate a copy. if i do i could post scans if you're interested.

Why would a hobbyist need something like this?

Sceadwian said:
Its not really somthing I need, more somthing I want to try;)

Maybe people who ask why one needs something ought to be restricted in some way?
A friend of mine has spark erosion kit in his workshop. The disadvantage is the machining of graphite to make tools for it generates so much dust that the whole place is filthy black.

Last edited:
spuffock said:
The disadvantage is the machining of graphite to make tools for it generates so much dust that the whole place is filthy black.

haha, Well, I grind alot of carbide, so I'm used to that kind of thing;)

Sceadwian said:

Why would an electronic hobbyist require:
A soldering iron
A multimeter
A variable PSU
Various signal sources, audio and RF
An oscilloscope
A digital storage scope
A spectrum analyser

Why would a mechanical hobbyist require:
A bench with a vise
A drill press
A bench grinder
A lathe
A milling machine
A shaper
A spark eroder

Why would an avid ornithologist require:
Binoculars
Bigger binoculars
A telecope
Lots of bird books
Green wellies?

Hell, they could all save their money, spend it on beer and pizza and just veg out watching the TV.

Whatever floats your boat.

JimB

The research lab at my place of employment has an EDM unit. Very snappy unit and excellent for fixing or modifying mold cavities for plastic injection molding. The good units are costly too and out of financial reach for most consumers/hobbyists. This is an industry tool, much like a Bridgeport or similar unit is.

JimB said:
Hell, they could all save their money, spend it on beer and pizza and just veg out watching the TV.

Heck, why do we even need that? Let's just sit on a rock and ponder all day.
Since pondering is good :p
-Omar

Pondering is good for only so long.... then thetime comes when one has to get off their duff and accomplish something.

jpanhalt said:

I joined the EDM homebuilder group. Alot of good posts on there! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back