Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric underfloor heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
A building i am looking at renting has electric underfloor heating. I wont say why i am asking at the moment but.....

Could a wrongly laid heating cable cause too much inductance and problems with tripping out consumer units? I dont want to say too much at the min, i am talking to these people about renting it.

I have seen part of the heating cable and its snaked all over the place! its sort of been zig zagged across the floor, i have only ever seen it done straight with bends at the end.

A building i am looking at renting has electric underfloor heating. I wont say why i am asking at the moment but.....

Could a wrongly laid heating cable cause too much inductance and problems with tripping out consumer units? I dont want to say too much at the min, i am talking to these people about renting it.

I have seen part of the heating cable and its snaked all over the place! its sort of been zig zagged across the floor, i have only ever seen it done straight with bends at the end.

Generally it is...
flat, not coiled.
50-60Hz
I have it snaked in my basement
I havent seen an issue.

problems with tripping out consumer units?
Many people think electric blankets are bad. (all kinds of medical problems) You almost can't get a electric blanket around here. I have slept with an electric blanket to 50 years and it has made me old. ;) So maybe there is something to it.

I think one turn of wire about the size of your hand, hocked to a scope, will not show much voltage. (uV) Maybe if the coil is touching the floor. Up one foot from the floor the signal will be very small. My thought is that a toaster will make more radiation. The big transformer in a micro wave will cause more trouble. (how about a wireless tooth brush charger)

I could get my tinfoil hat and come over and see. I could make a u-tube video. sorry, just thinking about "flat earth" and "cooling off earth" on another thread.

problems with tripping out consumer units?
Not sure what this means. Tripping a circuit breaker?

There is no more inductance in the heater cable than in lamp cord. Whatever the potential problems might be, inductance ain't none of 'em.

ak

If a breaker is tripping when it's turned on then I would suspect a current to earth. I have seen heaters that work fine over summer but trip breakers in winter due to moisture.

Mike.

I wouldnt have thought so ghostie, these things have carbon fibre conductors, the inductance around a room is only going to be nH.
If an Mcb is tripping then either the breaker is under rated or the circuit is overloaded - shorted somewhere.
Or if the Elcb is tripping thats bad as theres a break in the cable and a path to earth.
17th edition wiring reg's might tell you the guidelines, not my kind of thing.
Landlords have a duty to their tenants and have their properties & installations checked, gas, electric & heating, if they rent to you through a third party as far as I know they have to get this done, and if renting direct they'd be very naive not to.

Thx guys, its a odd cable and underfloor heating i know about is water pipes not cable. I think Mikes got a point worth looking at, there is a leak in the girls bathroom that builds up slowly on the floor. The heating system is pretty old. I dunno but i think i am going to pass on renting this office space. Its cheap But cheap gets expensive when you got maintain and repair clauses in the contract.

At least i can stop wildly guessing with it :D.

Last time I rented a place the landlord told me that everything outside the property was his responsibility and everything inside was mine, that was 20 years ago though so I dont know if thats still in force.
Office properties have very little 'rights' with them, you can be kicked out on the spot unlike residential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back