Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric fields and the cause

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've become rather interested in this whole higgs ordeal and read up a bit. Now they say there is a higgs field and if it exists it will exist because of the higgs boson. Basically the field is cause by the particle called the higgs boson. Now what i don't know is what particle is related with electric field in this way. Another way of asking would be what particle causes and electric field? I've tried to find an answer but it is proving rather difficult and i am wondering if I am over thinking something that is rather simple. Is it just because of a particle being charged that causing an electric field or is there more to it than just this, like something similar to the predicted higgs field?

Hello there Noodles,

It's said to be the photon. It's an electromagnetic field just like light that we can actually see.

Last edited:
Isn't it that the field is mediated by photons, but the actual charged particles, including the electron, are fermions?

**broken link removed**

John

Isn't it that the field is mediated by photons, but the actual charged particles, including the electron, are fermions?

**broken link removed**

John

Hi,

Not sure what your point is here. The photons are the force carriers, but they dont need the charges to travel with them to do that. The charges stay in the wire for example. The photons surround the wire. And the charges are considered separate from the photons. Also, the photons appear before any charge is moved (or at least not very much charge).

Last edited:
I've become rather interested in this whole higgs ordeal and read up a bit. Now they say there is a higgs field and if it exists it will exist because of the higgs boson. Basically the field is cause by the particle called the higgs boson. Now what i don't know is what particle is related with electric field in this way. Another way of asking would be what particle causes and (sic) electric field? I've tried to find an answer but it is proving rather difficult and i am wondering if I am over thinking something that is rather simple. Is it just because of a particle being charged that causing an electric field or is there more to it than just this, like something similar to the predicted higgs field?

I put more emphasis on the causality.

John

Last edited:
Hello again,

Ok that makes sense now (from that alternate viewpoint). But i dont know if i would argue causality as much as i would argue simultaneity in that they exist together.
So the charges and field exist together, the charges being various particles and the field being photons.

But maybe more to the point, this would make sense:
Photons are to the electromagnetic field as Higgs bosons are to the Higgs field,

and this would make sense:
Charges (or charge movements) are to the electromagnetic field as mass is to the Higgs field,

while this would not make sense:
Charges are to the electromagnetic field as Higgs bosons are to the Higgs field.

Last edited:
But maybe more to the point, this would make sense:
Photons are to the electromagnetic field as Higgs bosons are to the Higgs field,

and this would make sense:
Charges (or charge movements) are to the electromagnetic field as mass is to the Higgs field,

while this would not make sense:
Charges are to the electromagnetic field as Higgs bosons are to the Higgs field.

thats what i thought it was like just wasn't sure, the first one is the right one. It still is very confusing to me just something i'm gonna have to rap my head around, especially the fact that an electric field is always perpendicular to the surface of propagation and the fact that magnetic flieds are not but yet they are classified under the same kind of force according to the 4 fundamental forces of the universe.

I guess you could think about it like sex, male and female. Both exist as seperate enties of the same species but it takes both to propagate the species. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back