Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effect on charging ckt by changing battery from 7.5ah to 35ah on 24v

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjoy

hi, i have a 1000va IPS(Instant Power Supply) uses 24v, 7.5AH sealed lead-acid battery. Now i want to change battery to 24v, 35AH for long backup.The charging ckt uses a 1Amp transformer & LM317. I am afraid of the possible effect on the charging ckt due to the change. some people suggest me there is no effect on charging ckt but i argue with this. So pls suggest me what i have to do in this case. thanks

The larger battery will take almost 5 times as long to fully charge. It has no effect on the charging circuit.

The larger battery will take almost 5 times as long to fully charge. It has no effect on the charging circuit.
Depends on how the LM317 circuit is built. If there is intrinsic current limiting built into the LM317 circuit, then nothing bad will happen, just take longer as AG points out. If the LM317 is just a voltage limiter, and is not also a current-limiter, then hanging the big battery on it might overheat the transformer or the LM317.

The circuit is already a battery charger, not just an LM317 regulated power supply.
If it is designed properly so it does not overheat when charging the little battery in a couple of hours then it also will not overheat when charging the big battery all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back