Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

eBay Stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. First bad eBay experience. I've purchased a couple of things off of eBay - a power supply for an old Mac, for example (thru my Dad's account :) ) and haven't had a problem before.

About two weeks ago is when the problems first started.

Bought an 850mhz PIII for my motherboard for $16.50 with a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter (didn't need it but wanted the adapter all the same.) Sent the payemt via USPS Priority Mail the next day.

Later that week, the seller e-mails and says he hasn't received the payment yet and is threating to file a non-paying bidder report. We had sent him the tracking number for the money order and a scanned copy of the Postal Service tracking number printout. A couple of nail-biting days later, he confirms the arrival of the M.O. The processor got here today (only 13 days after close of aution.)

Here's the dillema: I pop it into my mobo and bam, it doesn't work. I try everything: BIOS reset, jumper configs, everything. Then I look at the pins. I'm 99.9% sure I didn't bend one of the pins - it looked like it was forced into the socket without the lever being up all of the way. As I try to straighten it a bit (partially because I wasn't sure if I had done it - my fingers are most likely bruised from attaching the heatsink (the metal clip was being...defiant.) and just like that, it snaps off. It looks like it can be soldered back on, which I am going to try either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Any one have experience soldering Intel pins back on? It's on the outer row, right next to one of the two index sides (the angled ones.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Infamous

This is the reason why I order absolutely NOTHING over the internet, unless It is from a company or person I can visit and nab, should (s)he fail to comply with his/her offer.

The 2nd reason is becuase many sites require a credit card, and because those can be misused easy, I don't use one.

I got burned once on Ebay. I bought a watch a couple years ago, sent payment and waited...and waited, and waited...and waited.
Having never bought through Ebay before, I waited more than 30 days and Paypal would do nothing for me. Right after I won the watch, the guy cancelled his account with Ebay because he said, "Ebay is trying to get me for some scam they think i did." Yeah, that made me feel better. lol

The guy even calls me and offers to send a second watch along with the one I bought for my troubles. Yeah, never got either one. I had the guys number and called him every week or so for 6 months just to piss him off.

All my other transactions have been great though. I always check the feedback and use paypal and never wait more than 30 days to file my report with Paypal.
~Mike

theinfamousbob said:
Ugh. First bad eBay experience. I've purchased a couple of things off of eBay - a power supply for an old Mac, for example (thru my Dad's account :) ) and haven't had a problem before.

About two weeks ago is when the problems first started.

Bought an 850mhz PIII for my motherboard for $16.50 with a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter (didn't need it but wanted the adapter all the same.) Sent the payemt via USPS Priority Mail the next day.

Later that week, the seller e-mails and says he hasn't received the payment yet and is threating to file a non-paying bidder report. We had sent him the tracking number for the money order and a scanned copy of the Postal Service tracking number printout. A couple of nail-biting days later, he confirms the arrival of the M.O. The processor got here today (only 13 days after close of aution.)

Here's the dillema: I pop it into my mobo and bam, it doesn't work. I try everything: BIOS reset, jumper configs, everything. Then I look at the pins. I'm 99.9% sure I didn't bend one of the pins - it looked like it was forced into the socket without the lever being up all of the way. As I try to straighten it a bit (partially because I wasn't sure if I had done it - my fingers are most likely bruised from attaching the heatsink (the metal clip was being...defiant.) and just like that, it snaps off. It looks like it can be soldered back on, which I am going to try either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Any one have experience soldering Intel pins back on? It's on the outer row, right next to one of the two index sides (the angled ones.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Infamous

Well, since it sounds like returning it is out of the question, no harm in trying to fix it. Post a pic of the damage & we all can make suggestions.

Thanks, I'll post a pic as soon as I can take one (lots of Chemistry homework to do... :roll: )

The pin is on the outer edge of the processor, I did solder it last night. The problem is my solder job was just a tid bit off and the solder joint snapped on insertion. I think if i use some needle-nose pliers instead of an alligator clip to hold it in place I'll have more luck (no pliers were handy at the time...).

Oh, and the seller had perfect feedback. Go figure. At least I got a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter and heatsink/fan out of it...

UPDATE: no camera. Sorry, but my webcam isn't high rez enough (got it with a keyboard, mouse, and headset for $30) and my digi cam has never worked properly with my PC. I can describe it in detail though:

The processor has a pad where the pin was orig. attached (soldered?) It's on the outer edge and thus very accessible. The pin is slightly bent where it fans out to attach to the processor - it needs to be straightened. Hopefully I'll get a pic of the finished product (although I don't want to remove it after I put it in.) or I could just do a 10 second Gimp hack together drawing.

-Infamous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back