Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy question from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

galneweinhaw

Hi,

I am trying to build a circuit w/ a TL072 IC. It requires a +, - and ground.

If I want to put my little circuit in a box how do I get this +/-/gnd without a big seperate power supply?

The way I know of is 4 9V batteries (+18V/-18V/gnd).... a bit cumbersome.

Is there an easy way to get +/-/gnd from an off the shelf plug in transformer?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: this forum looks sweet, I can wait to get a chance to browse around a little more, esp. the projects.

Why do you need +/-18V? - if you use +/-9V you could use two 9V batteries. Using batteries or a mains PSU depends greatly on what the circuit does and what it's going to be used for (and where). Using batteries has the huge advantage that it's portable - and as long as current requirements are low the batteries can last a good long time.

The usual trick is to use an Op Amp, biased to half supply, with a decent electrolytic cap on the output. This then outputs your Gnd, then use the main supply as your +/-

Steve

Crofty said:
The usual trick is to use an Op Amp, biased to half supply, with a decent electrolytic cap on the output. This then outputs your Gnd, then use the main supply as your +/-

Steve

Can you direct me toward an example schematic please?

I've done a diagram, which I've zipped, as I can't upload in PDF format.

Its a straight forward OPA divider, with decent rail smoothing. If you need higher current? the same method can be applied to more powerfull OPA's ie: LM380 etc.

Note: Input can be upto the max volts for the OPA, 30 Volts off the top of my head. Make sure the 2 x 470uF's are rated for what every voltage you end up running on..

Hope this helps

Steve

Attachments

• split-rail.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back