Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earthquake Armageddon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Seems like we've been seeing one or two major earthquakes every month, around the world, this year. Kind of uncommon, and seems like a trend. I'm not much into geology, but was wondering if they have an explanation, as to why the planet has been so restless these past few months. Do they have computer models that predict future quakes, kind of like for hurricanes?

I don't think we have to worry about earthquakes here in Florida, never heard any mention of there ever being one, but they do a lot of damage in other places around the country. Just seems like we have a lot of problems to deal with already, and what looks like a lot of natural disasters on the way. Don't think the official hurricane predictions are out yet (another month or so), but usually a cold winter, is followed by strong storms, and this was one cold winter.

Was just curious about what the science has to say about it, or if they even try to predict earthquakes. I guess they would, since the put a lot of time and effort into studying other natural events and trends, like <Banned topic>.

I guess there is little fore-warning, or just not much time to prepare or evacuate, or maybe the effected area so large, it's not practical, even if they knew in advance. Maybe if you live in an earthquake zone, you are always prepared.

Any amateur geologist, who have some links to decent earthquake study sites, please share. My Google search was full of recent events, pleas for donations, and not exactly what I was hoping to find. Will try to think of some new ways to phrase my search, while at work today, and narrow it down some. Can't believe there are still so many Haitians without shelter, after 3 months. Hope the get in gear, hurricane season starts soon, and they sit right in the middle of the zone.

Actually earthquakes happens to get relief from the restless hours the planet spent. It's a kind of re-arranging the plates just like we're doing for a relaxation.

They are happening all the time, it's only when populated areas are hit that it makes the news.

According to most experts, America is overdue for some big quakes in major cities - which is why there's a lot of earthquake improvement work been done in recent decades. The USA are pretty well world leaders in research and monitoring, so 'hopefully' there might be some warning.

Yea the way the quakes are heading up the coast most yanks will wish they don't hit the yellowstone giant one that is sitting semi dormant there. If she does blow then not one yank will have no time to kiss there butts goodbye....

Last edited:
Yea the way the quakes are heading up the coast most yanks will wish they don't hit the yellowstone giant one that is sitting semi dormant there. If she does blow then not one yank will have no time to kiss there butts goodbye....

That's a volcano, not just an earthquake zone.

Yeah, quakes happen constantly, but usually away from large cities, and in the ocean, they are monitored, but don't reach the news easily because there are loads of them happening per day, planet earth is very geologically active.

Work went kind of late, just got back from walking the dog, and food cooking the oven. Haven't hit the search engine again, yet. Will post the link, if I find something good. I know the planet keeps moving, was more interested in the increased intensity of these quakes. Pretty sure Florida isn't going to see anything, but we have other problems to deal with.

Saw something on CNN, at work, something about Obama, and a nuclear arms treaty. Thought that was settled years ago, not to mention that no sane country would actually use nukes, unless they had no hope. Maybe the earthquakes are trigger by underground testing, so we need another 'Cold War'. Guess Obama is still planning on withdrawing the troops in 2011, so need to do something to keep the troops busy.

I think we might be goners here in Utah. But, the rest of the world should prepare for cold weather.

For a really long time too!

This according to USGS.
Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase?

We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.
A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.
According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Wow, just like the hurricane predictions. Found this site (same one, I think) **broken link removed** , too bad I'm on dial up, they have maps in realtime...

The maps are of earthquakes that have occured. None are about predictions, at last not the one you linked.

The maps are of earthquakes that have occured. None are about predictions, at last not the one you linked.

Was referring to the last portion of Mike's post, about 17 major earthquakes, and one 8.0 or greater... The hurricane forecast usually predicts the number of named storms, major hurricanes, and how many to make landfall.

Yeah, didn't see anything about prediction models yet, but it's a huge site. Will go back after work, and look around some more. I would think since they have such a high frequency of occurrence, and many sensors that provide data immediately, somebody must have made some sort of model by now. It's not like they would have to wait hundreds of years to see if the code works as expected.

Really need to upgrade my internet, dial up is just too time consuming. The city might turn the Wifi back on this fall, so a little unsure if I want to invest just yet.

You might want to look at this link.
**broken link removed**

Heres the latest theory on what is causing these earth quakes.

Global warming of course! :rolleyes:

Guardian: Global warming to trigger “earthquakes, tsunamis, avalanches and volcanic eruptions.” Watts Up With That?
Space.com Forums | View topic - Global Warming Causes Earthquakes
Fire and Ice: Melting Glaciers Trigger Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Volcanos

I have to thank my ISP bug for rerouting a search over to the first one and giving me my laugh of the day too! I would have never went looking otherwise! :D

So take them for what ever you think they are worth.;)

Heres the latest theory on what is causing these earth quakes.

Global warming of course! :rolleyes:

Guardian: Global warming to trigger “earthquakes, tsunamis, avalanches and volcanic eruptions.” Watts Up With That?
Space.com Forums | View topic - Global Warming Causes Earthquakes
Fire and Ice: Melting Glaciers Trigger Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Volcanos

I have to thank my ISP bug for rerouting a search over to the first one and giving me my laugh of the day too! I would have never went looking otherwise! :D

So take them for what ever you think they are worth.;)

Please don't use foul language in this thread. That topic has been banned, and we aren't suppose to mention it ever again, or face banishment (or worse, a weekend with Al Gore). Funny stuff though, will have to print it.

But actually, looks like there earthquakes are happening every day, but most are under 4.0, and seem to outline the continents. I really didn't know that there were so many.

That would only be if there were some Kinetic Energy Released and then stored of course but then we can't give the earth any carbon Credits or take any if it doesn't.

Please don't use foul language in this thread. That topic has been banned, and we aren't suppose to mention it ever again, or face banishment (or worse, a weekend with Al Gore). Funny stuff though, will have to print it.

That was in regards to starting a thread related to that topic. :)

What I posted is earthquake related with only good humor intended. If someone else chooses to turn it into a GW/ACC issue that is not my doing. ;)

Besides would you prefer I find the links to the Aliens or the Illuminati that are behind the earthquakes? :rolleyes:

I did some humorous para-science related reading today!:D

Besides would you prefer I find the links to the Aliens or the Illuminati that are behind the earthquakes? :rolleyes:

I did some humorous para-science related reading today!:D

Don't do it.

Alien Virus are the worse ones. Your computer will call the mother ship and give away your location.:p

The article didn't say anything is caused by global warming, nor did it say there is anything to attribute to global warming in the first place. But it's extremely naive to think there is would be no geological activity from millions of tons of continental ice being removed from land. We've known this to be the case long before the words "global warming" was ever uttered. But keep amusing yourself with your own brand of pseudo science.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt earthquake activity has anything to do with ice or CO2, that just doomsday guessing. All natural events are caused by man-made CO2, not the natural kind, just man-made pollution. You repeat it enough, you get tired of resisting it. I just bought $583 worth of tires for my Grand Prix, and of course avoided the recycling fee... So, after I get done changing the oil this weekend, might be in the mood for a little black smoke.

Back to the earthquake data... 8,000 sensors, live data on the internet (wonder if it's easy to find, the raw readings, not the 'hockey-stick' weighted version). Just seems likely one should be able to track and map the activity, and make some pretty reliable prediction about where, when, and how strong an earthquake hits. There has to be people working on something like that. I know there is no money in it, no chance of stopping it from happening, and unlikely an evacuation would help much before hand. But, at least it would be nice to know not to stand under something that can fall on your head. You could run your simulation model daily, and check the results immediately. Too bad this modem is so slow, so many things I want to search for, but have to wait for the weekend to really dig into it, even then I have other chores to attend to, like the car, lawn needs mowing (damn global warming is making my grass grow at an alarming rate). Least when I was complaining about the winter, I didn't have to mow the grass. Also have dead Orange tree to remove, still has maybe 10 leaves on it, which are still sort of green, but the bark is peeling off around the trunk and main branches. Doubt it there is any hope, was never a prize to begin with, just came with the house. Wonder if its safe to burn... throw it on with the tires I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back