Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biggest Earthquake I ever felt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

Well being not so far from the epicenter of a big quake today, about 50 miles from El Centro Ca during a hike in Imperial county, we got quite a jolt as the 7.2 mag quake hit. Rocks and boulders were moving about all around me as I attempted to run to my wife when fear for her safety overcame me. Oddly enough at the same time, I watched the rocks and boulders fall around me and was quite exhilarated at watching this earth shaping process, and I must admit I caught myself pausing to watch this ground shaking moment. Yeah, the wife was okay...:) I think the actual quake lasted for about 30 sec but it seemed to last much longer.

The epicenter was in Baja Ca, so still waiting to hear if anyone south of us were badly hurt.

that wasn't an earthquake it was just one of my Texan mates letting off a ripper after eating a pot of baked beans.....

that wasn't an earthquake it was just one of my Texan mates letting off a ripper after eating a pot of baked beans.....
I don't think the residents of Texas would like to be called "mates".

Maybe he meant this texas. If anyone is curious it's about 220kM SW of me.

Mike.

LOL now all that the state of Texas needs a small town or township called Australia.

I must admit I caught myself pausing to watch this ground shaking moment.

Silly me did that same thing many years back during a tremor in my area. I was in a third-floor television studio at the time when the overhead lighting grid started shaking and the building was rumbling as if a big truck was trying to plow through it. Experiences like this are so far and few between that I think it's only natural for a good many of us humans to pause at first to assess the situation before running off half-cocked.

I remember once, when I was living in California, I was getting dressed for work, and I noticed that all the dogs in the neighborhood were barking. I thought that was pretty weird. But then at that moment, the groud shook in a violent jolt. The dogs must have sensed the high speed p-waves, and were disturbed by them.

I heard a coulpe people were killed in Mexico, and a few hundred injured. The damage was not as bad as in Haiti, partly because the area was sparsely populated, and because even Mexico has better building codes than Haiti does.

Ah yes, I have memories of my California days and trotting around the Pacific Rim. I hate those damn things. I have this thing about feeling totally helpless. I will never forget one day driving out from San Diego to the East. I was driving my bike due East and remember thinking all of a sudden this bike just doesn't feel right, like a shake all of a sudden. Then things seemed normal. Hell, I got home and my wife and all these people were out around the pool and all this water was all over the place. I looked at the wife and said why are you out here and how the hell did all that water get out of the pool? Also, what the hell is everyone looking around for? That small quake was centered around El' Centro and when I was driving East I hit the shock waves perpendicular thinking something went real wrong with my bike. Duh? Nope, I sure don't miss earthquakes in my life.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back