Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dyslexia bites again

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I was just stuck in a massive queue of traffic next a bus lane, about a mile long. The bus lane had bus, taxi and cycle, and underneath 7am to 7pm. I studied it for a bit and decided that means I can use it between those times, and no-one else was because they didn't want my turning. Only after I'd driven all the way up it to find everyone wanted my turning, I realised my mistake. I don't think Birmingham council are going to be very sympathetic!

Aston Rd. I did see a camera but it looked like a normal cctv one rather than an enforcement one. Also no camera signs. I did have a bus behind me at one point, don't know if they report offenders.

I doubt they are monitored that far out of the city centre ... .. .. where you running this morning ?

S

No, just suffering the road closures. Working. I was on my way to replace a cash drawer at a shop in town. Sat nav said go up Jenner street but it was closed, so I took the next one, which was Aston. Big Misteak!
Running? Hah! Running late, more like. I can run about a 100yds before I'm winded, then the dog wonders why I've stopped...
Anyway, I just hope you are right.

It's weird sometimes. If you have ever tried hit a target with an object, and it's as though there's a cone of force around the target so you can hit everywhere around it but not the thing you are aiming for, well, that's how I interpret things sometimes. I can get it every which way wrong, but the real meaning eludes me. It seems sometimes the simpler the thing the harder a problem I have with it. The signs make perfect sense. I just couldn't read them right. Anyway this case it looks like the cerebral confusion biting me, not dyslexia (but they go together so who cares)

I thought you might have been running because Jenner St was where the Birmingham 10K Run was starting from this morning, hence it was closed to traffic.

If you have ever tried hit a target with an object, and it's as though there's a cone of force around the target so you can hit everywhere around it but not the thing you are aiming for, well, that's how I interpret things sometimes. I can get it every which way wrong, but the real meaning eludes me.

I have to say if that's a symptom then I'm in deep doo doo also ! :)

I doubt you're the first person to misinterpret the signs and for sure, you'll not be the last.

As far as I've seen and heard, it's only the city centre bus lanes that are monitored because the cost of doing so is enormous.

S

Well, that's a comfortimg piece of news at least. Constant danger in my job, bus and other sorts of lanes.

Its becoming a traffic sign nightmare out there, Northamptonshire have some camera vans with" 30 means 30" on them and they park behind a hedge , just a moments lack of concentration and a couple of mph ... costs a weeks wages ....

That's nasty. Don't you get your 10% +2 then? I get sent there regularly too, one of my favourite areas.

That's nasty. Don't you get your 10% +2 then? I get sent there regularly too, one of my favourite areas.
It's the law.... limit + 10% +1... So 30 is 34 BUT!!! cameras are also penalised by 2 so you need to be doing 37 to get a speeding fine.. However!! People are forgetting that when your speedo is reading 34 ( meaning you are okay ) and your speedo is 10% out.... 34 * 10%+1 = 38... You are in fact speeding!!! Been there done that... Several times...

I was done at 37MPH and I know I was doing 40 as I thought it was a 40 zone....

Interesting. Every speedo I've had (since the advent of gps speed at least) has read up to 10% high. Vauxhall seem to be the most accurate I've used. I just go by gps speed now. I had started assuming that car manufacturers must help you out a bit by making their speedos read high by some amount, or at least not read low. Obviously I'm wrong!

I've never come across a speedo thats underestimated my actual speed. They have always overestimated by a few mph.

I've never come across a speedo thats underestimated my actual speed. They have always overestimated by a few mph.
Driving down the M56 about a year ago... I was driving my son's Yaris... I was doing 70, I know my sons speedo is nearly spot on because we have several speed calming LED displays near to our house ( the ones that warn you when you are slightly speeding ) and his car is normally exact!! Mine ( Vauxhall Mokka ) reads faster ie.. I'm doing 29, reported as 30.. Anywho.. A Citroen Picasso shot past us we would estimate at least 5MPH faster... BUT!! a Citreon Picasso has a very large speedo readout and I could see it!! It read 70MPH.. So his speedo was at least 7.5% out!!! And on the wrong side!!

So the moral of the tale is, never trust anything to do with road laws... No wonder some people drive so slow...

Driving down the M56 about a year ago... I was driving my son's Yaris... I was doing 70, I know my sons speedo is nearly spot on because we have several speed calming LED displays near to our house ( the ones that warn you when you are slightly speeding ) and his car is normally exact!! Mine ( Vauxhall Mokka ) reads faster ie.. I'm doing 29, reported as 30.. Anywho.. A Citroen Picasso shot past us we would estimate at least 5MPH faster... BUT!! a Citreon Picasso has a very large speedo readout and I could see it!! It read 70MPH.. So his speedo was at least 7.5% out!!! And on the wrong side!!
Damn, there goes my theory. On the bright side I'd rather find out like this than with some rental car or something.

I've often wondered about who designs the speedometers for most vehicles being it seems that every underpowered POS vehicle has a speedometer that reads to 120+ MPH yet the vehicle itself couldn't hit the top end of it speedometers readout in a free fall out of the back of an airplane, let alone on a road under its own power, whereas most vehicles that could have speedometers that stop at 85 even if the vehicle can easily run 120+ MPH all day long. :confused:

I've often wondered about who designs the speedometers for most vehicles being it seems that every underpowered POS vehicle has a speedometer that reads to 120+ MPH yet the vehicle itself couldn't hit the top end of it speedometers readout in a free fall out of the back of an airplane, let alone on a road under its own power, whereas most vehicles that could have speedometers that stop at 85 even if the vehicle can easily run 120+ MPH all day long. :confused:

Well its pointless here to have 100+ on the speedo as they have just increased the speeding fine to £2500 ouch!!!!

Well, £2500 for you Ian. I just don't earn that much :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back