Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVD players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DVD player (from local provider, made in China) for very cheep price. It is working wel , any DVD can be played even Re-writable CDs.

But Re-writable CDs not working on other Branded DVD players( such as Sony).
What is the secret behind it. Does it scan for a code or any such thing on recorded CDs.
Any ideas.

mahinda jayasinghe said:
I have a DVD player (from local provider, made in China) for very cheep price. It is working wel , any DVD can be played even Re-writable CDs.

But Re-writable CDs not working on other Branded DVD players( such as Sony).
What is the secret behind it. Does it scan for a code or any such thing on recorded CDs.
Any ideas.

Assuming there's no copy protection on the disks?, it's usually down to the specific type of disk, for instance the older Sony DVD players won't play DVD+R disks, but the current ones generally do.

I have 2 optical drives in our house, One is just a generic CD-RW and the other is a COMBO drive(write cd and play dvd)...

I also have different brands of CD RW....

THe thing is, when I write a sony CD-RW, I write it in the combo drive because the generic one, cannot read it....but if I use other brands of CD-RW, the combo drive cannot read it....

I think it is with the optical drives...

There is a whole world of crappy coding schemes, IP protection, digital rights management is the latest one form Micro$crew. The reason the "DVD region system" was devised was to maximise profits in all areas of the world. The cost of DVDs in say Lagos would be cheaper, because if you charge £20 a go no-one would buy, so they charge £4 a go. But they still wanted to rip off everyone in the US, UK, Japan etc, so the region system made it so that you had to pay lots of money to watch a DVD in England and can't just buy a cheep one abroad. There is no secret behind being able to play everything, all you have to do is ignore all the extra crap, like DRM. The expensive ones have all these extra chips inside that do not play if you put a certain type of disk in. You might find that the cheap one also has a 'video out' that does not go green if you put it through another recording device. DRM works by asking Micro$crew if I can play this now? Very soon you will need an internet connection just to make sure Micro$crew is letting you turn on your bathroom light. Or, you could just ignore this and decode the data anyway, which is what happens in cheap devices, f*cking bargain if you ask me (save money and you don't have to worry about other crap).

dvd player

it's probably not working on sony because there are different types of discs and it's probably one of the type of discs that don't work

lol stuck on electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back