Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duracell battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
While more recent AA Duracells are crap, and commonly leak everywhere, their PP3 9V still seem fine.

I've just changed one in a battery powered intercom I've had for a VERY long time, from attic down to kitchen.

Took it out and it read 5V off load, the bottom was slightly swollen, but the date on the side (which is a VERY long use by date) was March 2008 - so it's probably lasted over 20 years, but of course it's a very low usage. Modern AA Duracells often leak while still in the packet, at only a couple of years old.

While more recent AA Duracells are crap, and commonly leak everywhere, their PP3 9V still seem fine.

I've just changed one in a battery powered intercom I've had for a VERY long time, from attic down to kitchen.

Took it out and it read 5V off load, the bottom was slightly swollen, but the date on the side (which is a VERY long use by date) was March 2008 - so it's probably lasted over 20 years, but of course it's a very low usage. Modern AA Duracells often leak while still in the packet, at only a couple of years old.
Has the technology used to build them, changed in these 20 years?

Duracell was my go to battery, up until ~5 years ago. They changed something and they all leak now like Nigel said sometimes in the package and not in use. I now go with the Bunny, and no problems.

I've tried to avoid Duracell for the last few years as well, they have gone from best quality to no quality.

Duracell_AA_1.jpg

Note the use by date on this one!

Duracell_AA_2.jpg

By comparison, the old ones were really made to last - these D Cells were fitted new to a Maglite torch and are still going strong, around 25 years on:

Duracell_D.jpg

Has the technology used to build them, changed in these 20 years?

Certainly it has in AA ones, and quite a long time ago. As I understand it, in the USA Duracell were compensation to people with equipment damaged by their duff batteries.

Been in the trade I obviously saw a LOT of leaking batteries over the years, and my recommendation to customers was to always use Duracell as they NEVER leaked.

The pictures rjenkinsgb posted are absolutely typical, as is the use by date on them.

I try and avoid Duracell for the same reason - almost all of them I've owned in the last ten years or so have leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back