Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Duff HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Thought you might be interested?, I just replaced a duff Seagate HDD in a Sony Hdd/DVD recorder - when I looked at the old drive:

BTW, just placed the drive on my scanner for this image.

Attachments

• hdd2.jpg
    hdd2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Ooooooh....something let the magic smoke out. My condolences on your loss and may it RIP.

Really such exposures help learning . How this could have happened, any logical thought possible?
I feel, Vibrations causing a dry connection in the power feed path to the chip like the 1R00 resistor, and lack of cooling or even air circulation to the closed section where the HDD is located.
We used to service such cases, in customer premises equipment of ISDN connections.

Last edited:
Nigel,

Which Sony machine was it? out of interest...

Last edited:
Nigel,

I have a SD HDD/DVD recorder that has an 80G HD. If I open it up, am I likely to be able to swap in a 250G HD I have lying around. Is it likely to be SATA? It's an LG - about 2 years old.

Mike.

Nigel,

I have a SD HDD/DVD recorder that has an 80G HD. If I open it up, am I likely to be able to swap in a 250G HD I have lying around. Is it likely to be SATA? It's an LG - about 2 years old.

Mike.
perhaps you can have a SATA to IDE converter if needed. Whether the capacity pre-defined somewhere in OS ?

Last edited:
Nigel,

Which Sony machine was it? out of interest...

An RDRHX725 - but the 160Gb drive size seems to be written in the firmware, and it's only showing 160Gb even with the new 320Gb drive in :(

However, it's still over £40 cheaper than getting the correct replacement drive from Sony.

Nigel,

The Sony one was three years old, but from around that time it could be either - only thing to do is look inside and see. As already suggested, it's unknown if the recorder will use the extra space or not - and you probably need to access the service menu to even use it at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back